Antifreeze tester & Dexcool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides guessing based on how slick my coolant is, I was curious if there were any good antifreeze mixture testers for dexcool? I know of the old little one with the float balls that Sears sells - will those work ok?

I know this has been discussed before, but the answer is that a normal tester is fine for Dexcool. Except for the "safe" propylene glycol antifreezes, like Sierra or Prestone Low-Tox, all antifreeze is 90%+ ethylene glycol, which is what provides the freeze and boil over protection and is what those testers are actually measuring. They sell separate testers for the propylene glycol antifreeze.

Agree with Matt_S. An alternative to the float ball type would be the Prestone and Victor pivoted pointer type. (not necessarily better for casual use, but they are more substantially built {no glass} and give some numerical indication of percentage concentration and protection level against freeze-up and boil-over points.) Note, ALL hydrometers are temperature sensitive because the density of liquids changes proportionately to temperature. Antifreeze/coolant hydrometers are calibrated to reflect coolant concentration only at ambient temperature, NOT when the coolant is warmed to engine operating temperature.

Thanks I should have realized that
smile.gif
d'oh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back