accidentally sipped antifreeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
first, sorry about the off-topic, but this is the busiest section and i am hoping that someone could get back to me quickly. I accidentally sipped little antifreeze which i spit out quickly and rinsed my mouth thoroughly, so i didnt swallow any, but it was in my mouth for a few seconds. should i be worried or should i go see a doctor or anything, please advise.... dont even ask me how it got in my mouth, its a long story
frown.gif

thanks and sorry again for the off topic!

I've ingested a bit of antifreeze in my day. You're fine. It would take a bit to even get you sick.

--Matt

thanks for the advice, my lip or tongue didnt blister or anything, i washed my mouth out very well with toothpaste and even soap, nasty, and yeah its really sweet, but i spit it out quickly so i dont know the exact taste, but yeah its sweet....

quote:

Originally posted by darkdan:
Does it taste as good as they say?

Only if you're a dog.
smile.gif

I've gotten a bit on my lips from wiping my face off with AF on my hands. It's sweet but I didn't think it was very pleasant. I definitely wouldn't use it as a sweetener.
nono.gif

I got a bunch of gasline antifreeze in my mouth one time. I was opening a bottle of gasline antifreeze with my teeth (don't ask me why) and the cap came off rather suddenly, and I got a mouthful of the liquid. Nasty stuff, it is.

quote:

Originally posted by 55:
I got a bunch of gasline antifreeze in my mouth one time. I was opening a bottle of gasline antifreeze with my teeth (don't ask me why) and the cap came off rather suddenly, and I got a mouthful of the liquid. Nasty stuff, it is.

bet you didn't "freeze up" all winter though!
wink.gif

Antifreeze does have a nice sweet taste to it, but a little shouldn't do any harm as long as you didn't swallow.
grin.gif
My guess is if you call the poison center they will suggest that you see your doc just to cover their a$$es. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

You'll be fine. Its actually more harmful to get used motor oil or gasoline on your skin than it is to accidentally get antifreeze in your mouth. Ethylene Glycol is not highly toxic.

Now, get motor oil/gasoline in your mouth? Thats a problem.

quote:

Originally posted by cweed:
first, sorry about the off-topic, but this is the busiest section and i am hoping that someone could get back to me quickly. I accidentally sipped little antifreeze which i spit out quickly and rinsed my mouth thoroughly, so i didnt swallow any, but it was in my mouth for a few seconds. should i be worried or should i go see a doctor or anything, please advise.... dont even ask me how it got in my mouth, its a long story
frown.gif

thanks and sorry again for the off topic!

Pepsi in one hand, Antifreeze in the other and you took the wrong sip?

Actually i had just topped off the overflow a few times as my low coolant light went off yesterday and no matter how much i added it wouldnt go off... right after i was under the car with the car running checking if im still leaking power steering fluid (unrelated story), well the coolant overflowed and some splashed down and poured on my face and straight into my mouth, i turned my head QUICKLY and spit it out and went straight home and rinsed and rinsed.... i heard that a teaspoon is enough to kill a cat so i was worried that the little bit that went in my mouth was harmful.... the stupid things we do sometimes with our cars..........
dunno.gif
what exactly does antifreeze do to you anyway if say you do take enough of it??

by the way, i should mention, it turned out my coolant sensor is bad!

[ September 26, 2004, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: cweed ]

Twoo mush anteefriz wil mek yur brian tun too moosh.
gr_eek2.gif

No really, if you ingest a lot of ethylene glycol, it will cause brain damage and even death. Gradual (low dose over a long time) poisoning leaves one stupified, the catatonic, then... well, you get the idea.

A little in the mouth is no worry. It's ingestion of quantities of it that's bad news. So if you can read this, you're fine.

quote:

what exactly does antifreeze do to you anyway if say you do take enough of it??

I think it crystalizes in your liver, brain, and other organs since your body can't assimilate it. It takes more of an exposure than you had to do damage to your organs. Death in all cases is not instantaneous, but rather slow. You did the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back