Distilled water for your cooling system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Distilled, deionized, and demineralized water are all pretty much the same thing: water with minerals and other things removed. These are different treatment methods to remove ionic and organic materials from water. The reason you use this type of water is to control what gets put into your cooling system. In tap water the hardness elements such as Calcium and Magnesium cause scale buildup. Things like sulfate and chloride cause corrosion problems. There is nothing mysterious here, just some basic chemistry. Some tap water is perfectly suited for use in coolant systems but it must be tested to know for sure. In most cases it is much cheaper to just used distilled water and not worry about it.

The pH of distilled or deionized water can be as low as 5.5 or so if exposed to air. CO2 dissolves in the water and forms carbonic acid. Oxygen will also dissolve in water.

You don't want to use pure water (distilled or otherwise) because it offers no corrosion protection and your system will rust like crazy. Also you need the glycol to increase the boil point and decrease the freeze point. You want at least a 40% mixture and 50% is even better. Don't go above 60% because glycol doesn't cool as well as water so your system can overheat.

When flushing your cooling system make sure the heater control is wide open (not the fan but the hot/cold) so fluid will circulate through the heater core. When draining the system you can typically drain only about 70%-80% of the system. So for example, if you had a 10 gallon that can be drained 70% 3 gallons will remain. To flush, drain it down, fill it with water, and then run without the cap on until you can see the water circulating in the radiator. Drain it again and refill with water, you now have about 0.9 gallon of the original stuff left in the system. Start it up and repeat the process. After the 3rd fill you have about 0.27 gallon of original coolant left so you will want to drain and refill a 4th time. By now you will be down to about 0.08 gallon. That's good enough! If you want to be really fussy you can flush a 5th time using distilled water and you will be down to 0.02 gallons of the original. Don't bother adding distilled water until the last flush otherwise you'll be wasting money.

It's a little tricky refilling the system because you don't know how much water is left behind. I myself start by adding a gallon of concentrate and then adding 50:50 antifreeze/distilled water mix. I continue adding until I can reach the coolant to test the freeze point. The car must run until the coolant is well circulated before the freeze point is checked. I then adjust the freeze point by adding glycol or water and then top-off the system.

As for pH, it should be well above 7. Some coolants test close to 7 but most are in the 9-11 range. Iron corrodes when it drops below 7 and aluminum corrodes when it is about 11. There is no reason you couldn't add sodium hydroxide to raise the pH, however a drop in pH most likely indicates the glycol is breaking down to form acids so it may be reaching its expected life. As for adding ionic materials that shouldn't be a problem as the additives in conventional coolant are mostly salts of sodium or potassium. If I had to pick a target I would shoot for about 9.5 yo 10.0. Just make sure you take a reading after the coolant is well circulated.

As for using a coolant recycling flush service I do not recommend this because this device only filters the coolant to remove solids. It may replenish some additives but it cannot reverse the effects of coolant breakdown. Don't let anyone tell you that coolant doesn't breakdown. The glycol becomes oxidized to form the organic acids: glycolic, oxalic, formic, etc. all of which lower pH and lead to increased corrosion. This is why you must change your coolant periodically.

Well I've rambled on enough. Hope this information helps.

Stinky

The best distilled water comes from usual drugstore. I always ask to bring a distilled water from a hospital and better that for injections
grin.gif

FYI: test of water

http://www.autoreview.ru/test_acs/voda_0400/voda.htm

http://babelfish.altavista.com/ may help to translate from Russian.

Distilled, deionized, and demineralized water are not the same. Distilled and demineralized water can be drank. Deionized water is poisonous to humans. Word up!

quote:

Originally posted by terryr:
Distilled, deionized, and demineralized water are not the same. Distilled and demineralized water can be drank. Deionized water is poisonous to humans. Word up!

Please document the exact substance in deionized water that is poisonous and how much there is.

Well, It says 'not fit for human consumption' right on it. If it can corrode stainless.....But drink some and document it at the hospital.

Wow. Lot's of confusion and misinformation in this thread and also in some of the links. First, the "purity" of the various de-mineralized waters is measured by resistance, the reciprocal value of conductivity. The lower the ion concentration in water the greater the resistance. Pure water at pH 7.0 has a resistance of about 18 megohm. This can only be achieved by a combination of reverse osmosis or distillation followed by a series of ion exchange resins. You can't buy this stuff and it is "hungry" with respect to metals. The reason you can't buy pure water is because it immediately starts to degrade by absorbing CO2 from the atmosphere. The resulting carbonate causes the pH to drop and the resistance to decrease. Carbonate buffers at about pH 4, which is not really corrosive.

Water distilled on stainless steel or glass condensers typically shows conductivities of 1 and 3 megohm, respectively. This water also degrades over time by picking up ions from the atmosphere and storage containers so that it is not really very "hungry" when it comes in contact with soft metals in a cooling system. Most de-mineralized water you can buy is made by reverse osmosis and has a higher ion content than distilled water.

No distilled or de-mineralized water is really corrosive when mixed with antifreeze. The antifreeze contains corrosion inhibitors and antioxidants that are themselves ionic. So don't worry about using water that is "too pure". You can't buy the stuff and if you could, it wouldn't make any difference.

AS labman pointed out, the reason they don't want you to use tap water with antifreeze is that some municipal water supplies and residential wells contain high levels of calcium carbonate and other metal salts that can cause the inhibitors to precipitate. The inhibitors are needed because glycols themselves can oxidize to acids during repeated cycles of heating and cooling. Thus, old antifreeze becomes corrosive once the additives are depleted.

BTW, the reason that straight antifreeze is never used is because both ethylene and propylene glycol has a significantly lower heat capacity than water. So you should never exceed 70% antifreeze in the mixture even under the coldest conditions or the engine could overheat during operation.

My flush method;
Bring my 5 gallon water container to the purified water machine outside of the grocery store and pay $.25 a gallon to fill it.
1-drain the system.I have ball valves on my block drains.
2-fill with tap water.
3-run engine,heater on high.
4-drain after 10 minutes.
5-fill with purified water,with drains open until I think all the tap water is out.close valves and run 10 more minutes.
6-drain.leave valves open and add 2 gallons of distilled water until water stops draining.
7-add 2 gallons of Prestone.add distilled water until achieving a 50/50 mix.

quote:

Originally posted by BlueOvalFitter:
Bring my 5 gallon water container to the purified water machine outside of the grocery store and pay $.25 a gallon to fill it.

Can't speak for your local supermarkets, but where I live, these vending machines dispense only filtered drinking water, not "purified" water. There used to be the type that gave the customer a choice for de-ionized water, too, but those have disappeared in this area. Unless choice can be verified, ion* content isn't likely to be any less than that of the local tap water that's piped through the vending machine's filtration system. (and, it's anyone's guess how frequently those filters are serviced, too...) I feel much more secure that I'm getting some specific level of purity by buying sealed jugs of de-ionized or distilled water. The extra 33 cents/gallon at Wal*Mart is irrelevant when factored over the anticpated life of the coolant change interval. Ultimately, there are no guarantees of anything in life - all we can really do is play the odds.

*For those unfamiliar with the term, an "ion" is an atom with a net positive or negative charge. No mechanical filter ever developed can trap individual atoms - with or without their full electron compliment.

[ August 21, 2004, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Ray is right! You might as well save your .25 cents and put tap water in. Go with distilled water off the shelf. It will set you back a whopping .50 for a gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back