What should I replace Dex-cool with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 GMC Sierra 2500HD and a 1999 GMC Sonoma, both of which have the GM dex-cool. Neither of them have any apparant sludge build-up but I want to replace it with somthing that won't sludge up on me. From what I've read on here, There is either the G-05 or the prestone Dex-cool that would work good. What are the advantages/disadvantages of each? and what would be the ideal one to run? I also have access to a radiator flushing machine so flushing 100% of the coolant won't be a problem.

Thanks,
Jeff.

Daimler-Chrysler & Ford Motor Company trust G-05 Glysantin to their factory filled vehicles.

Zerex G-05 also was the 2000 Product of the Year for Popular Mechanics magazine.

As much as i like American cars I have come to recognize that the Europeans and Japanese auto-makers use higher grade components in general.

Foreign Automakers conservative decision not to jump on the GM Dex-Cool switch reflect this philosophy.

The Prestone Dex-Cool equivalent is not bad stuff at all however. It is the Havoline stuff which is questionable to say the least in my opinion.

Again I would recommend Zerex G-05 + a bottle of Zerex Water Pump Lubricant for your GM Truck.

Also you may want to read up on the BMW G-11 type coolant.

Whatever your finalchoice, do not skip doing a comprehensive water flush of your system until it comes out clear. Then add in the good clean stuff of yout choice.

I think I am going to go with the Zerox G-05. Is there any additives that people rocommend with this? and also seeing how this isn't GM approved coolant, what do you think the chances are of them pitching a fit over a coolant related warranty?

Thanks,
Jeff.

When you start talking warranty I recommend that you not mess with the big guys. Stick with the manufacturer recommended (or specified) coolant during the warranty period. If you have ANY coolant related issues during the warranty period, such as water pump failure, thermostat failure, coolant leak, head gasket failure, etc., they will see this as a way out of your warranty claim. Change the coolant, but stick with what the manufacturer recommends.

quote:

Originally posted by 03HD:
I think I am going to go with the Zerox G-05. .... what do you think the chances are of them pitching a fit over a coolant related warranty?

Thanks,
Jeff.

It's not a good idea. If you don't want to use Dexcool, Prestone's long life anti-freeze is GM Dexcool approved but isn't Dexcool.

After warranty, you're on you own and there will be no reason to not use anything that works.

What about the Peak Global stuff? On the back of the bottle it says it is Dex-cool approved. What is it and is it any good?

Thanks,
Jeff.

Zerex G-05

Will not void your warranty it is fully compatible with any coolant and engine alloy.

Yes, even if mixed (although i do not recommend that *lol*)

This would be a major violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Non-sense.

G-05 is the better choice.

Anything you put in the system is better than that Rust-Cool stuff. Caterpilar markets a coolant that is pre mixed with distilled water and meets all the long life specs. And from what I hear in the industry, it is about the best stuff going. GM and Ford users are having very good results.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back