silicate in antifreeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
It's really not all that complicated.

right, if you don't thoroughly flush the system you have to use the same coolant that's in there otherwise become a chemist
grin.gif

Originally posted by 1 FMF:
[QB] The coolant in the recovery bottle is not under heat & pressure like it is within the motor and radiator.

Actually a lot of vehicles have the pressure cap on the plastic bottle. Dumb Idea if you ask me but I guess they have their reasons.
I guess the fact that the fluid is not in contact with metal at the same interface with air in the bottle has something to do with something. (nahh most radiator tanks are plastic too these days.)
Ed

quote:

Originally posted by edwardh1:
Its an example of confusion and unnecessary variation.
Kinda like having 30 or more oil filter sizes and 10 or 20 battery sizes.

There is some real benefit to the variety of coolants, provided they eventually narrow down the selection.

We are gettin alot of real world experiance with different coolant chemistries and the automakers and coolant companies are learning a lot. Just be thankful they didn't all standardize of Dexcool when it came out.

All the differnt filter sizes, thread sizes and gasket sizes, however does seem goofy. Back in the early daze of spin ons in th elate 1950s, Chrysler Corp and Ford pretty much used the same filter and GM used a few different ones. Now they are all all over the map.

From what I've learned,most mfrs recommend phosphate and silicate free in vehicles with aluminum heads/blocks.

quote:

Originally posted by 1 FMF:

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
It's really not all that complicated.

right, if you don't thoroughly flush the system you have to use the same coolant that's in there otherwise become a chemist
grin.gif

Whoops! I just flushed my radiater to G-05 (the plug on the block is rusted).
dunno.gif
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back