Oilguard owners take note.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

If your bypass filter is any good there is nothing for the full flow filter to do except to grab anything large that gets in the oil. There is almost nothing in the oil of a good engine large enough to be removed by the full flow filter.

I'm not so sure that's true of the newer (synthetic) full flow filters on the market. For example, the Amsoil EAO filter I have lists its efficiency as: 98.7% at 15 microns. Now 15 microns is still a lot bigger size than a good bypass will filter down to, but that's also a lot finer filtration than traditional full flow filters did (especially at anywhere near that efficiency level)!

And remember, a full flow filter is so named, because the oil flows (through the filter) at the full rate needed by the engine. OTOH while a bypass filter does finer filtration, it has a much slower flow rate. One effect of this difference in flow rates, is that if some junk in the oil is big enough to be caught by the full flow filter, it's a "race" to see which filter grabs the junk first. And in such a race, the "full flow filter" is more likely to grab that junk, simply because so much more oil flow is going through it! Of course, stuff "too small" for the full flow filter, will of course only be caught by the bypass. However, as the effective micron size of full flow filters improves, more and more stuff is trapped by the full flow (instead of the bypass).

NOTE: One reason I like this effect, is that even the very good full flow filters are cheaper than the (new) price of the OilGuard bypass filters. So if the full flow filters can handle more of the load, than it means I'll have to change the OilGuard units less often.

Quote:

I also noticed the price increase...(IIRC bought a six pack of EPS20 elements for $66 a few years ago)...

Correction:
blush.gif
.. was just looking through some other records and I ran accross the OilGuard invoice for the 6 EPS20 elements I bought a few years ago ... price was $90 for 6 (not $66) .. still a substantial 60% increase from $15 to $24 each
shocked.gif

It's my understanding that the new amsoil filters are made by donaldson, probably the same filter as their ELF series of filters. We ran them on our cat engines for a while but for a full flow filter they have 1 serious flaw, they dont have enough capacity. The do filter better and also plug up quicker forcing the filter into bypass which as you all know is bad. Our industrial cats would tell us when the filters went into bypass and we could have simply changed the filters more often, but the filter life was 1/2 of what the company wanted them to last and quit using them. On systems without differential oil pressure switches there is no way to know when you have plugged the filter and its bypassing. In combination with a bypass filter system they probably work very well.

Checking the oilguard site it appears the filter kits went up about $100 as well. They didn't get bought out by another company or something that caused the spike in pricing did they?

Toilet paper? C'mon! Does it have braided color coded hoses and lots of chrome? I paid mega bucks for this truck, so I wanna pay at least $400. for my filter set up right? If it's not expensive enough all my dopey friends will laugh at me! "Hah! Bill can't afford a real man's bypass filter so he uses toilet paper! What a wimp!" And besides I might get my hands dirty changing toilet paper cause real men don't wear gloves...and what if the neighbors saw me...

Yeh, it's a hard sell Ralph. Some people like to pay more. ________ Bless 'em I say, they keep the economy rolling.

oilguard filters are Racor LFS801 filters. I have not looked yet but they might be available cheaper through a Racor dealer.

Quote:

oilguard filters are Racor LFS801 filters. I have not looked yet but they might be available cheaper through a Racor dealer.

Please do look. And if you find a dealer who is offering prices any cheaper than OilGuard is, please let us know how to contact him/her (with our own filter orders), along with what exactly to order to get the size of filter that exactly matches our OilGuard.

In my case, our family has THREE OilGuard filter units (two on cars, and one on a pickup) that take the smaller "EPS-10F" cartridges. And while I'll continue to pay OilGuard $22 (plus shipping) for each filter if I have no choice (as it's still cheaper than replacing my OilGuard units with something else), I would just LOVE to find a cheaper place to purchase filters that fit my unit (and thereby cut OilGuard out of the profit loop)...

Quote:

Per the following link list price for the LFS801 is $37.25 ... Also OilGuard is the OEM .. RACOR re-sells with their part number.

IOW: While you can buy the filters from RACOR, they will still be cheaper getting them from OilGuard (the OEM making them), even with the recent (large) OilGuard price increase...

Oh well. As said before, my current theory is to hang onto the OilGuard units for the present (because I already have the "sunk cost" of installing them), but use Amsoil EaO filters as my "full flow" filters (thereby cutting down the amount of just the OilGuard units need to filter, and thereby making the OilGuard filters last longer). That approach should let me cut back to one OilGuard filter per year per vehicle (or less). And that should take a lot of the sting out of the OilGuard price increase.

And I can always replace the OilGuard units in the future, should a cost-effective choice that works just as well (i.e. just as long filter life, and just as fine of filtration) comes along. After all, I have the basic plumbing already in place, so it should be just a matter of replacing the OilGuard holder with the correct fittings for using some other filter.

Quote:

Toilet paper? C'mon! Does it have braided color coded hoses and lots of chrome? I paid mega bucks for this truck, so I wanna pay at least $400. for my filter set up right? If it's not expensive enough all my dopey friends will laugh at me! "Hah! Bill can't afford a real man's bypass filter so he uses toilet paper! What a wimp!" And besides I might get my hands dirty changing toilet paper cause real men don't wear gloves...and what if the neighbors saw me...
Yeh, it's a hard sell Ralph. Some people like to pay more. ________ Bless 'em I say, they keep the economy rolling.

Tissue paper is the best oil filter. There are several filters that use tissue paper. For marketing it is best to have a filter element as good as toilet paper that you can call something else. One filter maker uses an element that is the same as TP but instead of calling it TP they call it a densely wound pure coniferous long fiber wood pulp paper.That sounds better than my filter uses toilet paper. I suggested to someone that they could tape a 20 dollar bill to a roll of TP to make it more expensive. That's about what you are doing when you use an element that is expensive and not as effective.

Ralph

I have the largest oilguard filter on my 2004 Ford powerstroke (EPS-60F). It's $28.00. Even at that price, it's still competative with Amsoil's large bypass. At that price, it's still cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back