Canton 1 micron filter and restrictor size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to try using a Canton 1 micron canister fuel filter as an oil bypass filter. I currently have their 8 micron mecca filter but I would like to filter the smaller particles out as well. I talked to the Canton guys and they said that the element would work on oil as well. They seemed very interested in the idea and wanted me to let them know how it worked out.
My concern is that the element does not have the capacity and will clog too quickly but they seemed to think it would be good for around 10K mi. I guess I'll find out if that is true or not. I was hoping that the 8 micron filter would take enough of the filtering load off the bypass that it just might work. The reason for this choice is that it would make for a clean setup with what I already have now, and I like their stuff. (Excellent quality and robust designs)
I'll be feeding it with -4 hose, with one end being terminated with a -4 to 1/4" NPT adapter. My question is will the 1/8" ID of the 1/4" fitting provide adequate restriction. Also what do you guys think about the idea???

Kevin

I will be tapping off the output side of the 8 micron filter, in the side of the cannister. I'm not really sure where I'll make the return yet but it will probably be the valve cover.

Is there a minimum reccommended throughput for a bypass filter? How many times should all the oil in the pan(6qts) be turned over in a given amount of time? These filters have very high flow rates with minimum pressure drop and fine filtering. Of course thats with fuel but the elements are made with the same media as their oil filter counterparts are, so it might do.

The valve is a good idea. I thought about making a fitting that would accept carburator jets and adjusting the restriction by drilling or just changing the jets. Messy to remove though...

Engine is a ford 4.6L DOHC...

Good idea on the carb jets. To give you an indication of some schools of thought, Amsoil places a 0.030 restrictor on the oulet of thier single bypass filter mounts. This is to prevent them from getting clogged.

I don't know what rate you'll get. I don't think that it matters too much. You'll still see some larger particles if you do a particle count ..you'll just see a lot fewer of them. Slower is better for filter efficiency. You'll still, imo, end up at the same load limit at the same time if you're talking "at temp" conditions.

The biggest effect on how much effectiveness you'll get out of it will depend on how long you're at temp. The viscosity is the reactive component here ..so there is no fixed % of flow through your bypass. There never really is since the flow will degrade as the filter loads. The restrictor will flatten out the slope for a good while though.

Sounds like a fun experiment. I don't know about the throughput of the filter element.

Can I assume that you'll be tapping off of a sending unit or other port and returning to the valve cover or pan?

There are a few things I could suggest ..but the simplest one would be to install a small valve that can probably meter your flow without to much tap dancing.

This is just an example that I found on page 404 of McMaster.com It's available in the right pipe threads and has the pressure temp ratings that you require. I imagine that when you dial it in for hot MAX flow, that there are any number of ways you can make sure they dial doesn't vibrate open ..if that's even likely.

-

You didn't mention the engine size.
1/8 seems too big. Consider sizing 1/25"-1/16" for the orifice.

Do you think that there are any concerns in returning the oil to only 1 of the valve covers? I thought about using a "T" and returning to both or am I just being paranoid?

Kevin

quote:

Originally posted by kgcobra320:
Do you think that there are any concerns in returning the oil to only 1 of the valve covers? I thought about using a "T" and returning to both or am I just being paranoid?

Kevin

No problem, just return it to a spot where it runs down a return hole instead of on top of a valve or camshaft.

One micron is like ameba size
smile.gif
A 6 qt. system should clean all of the oil in about 10 minutes at Sixty miles per hour... give or take a bit.

Small size restrictor is needed so you won't pump all the oil to the bypass and miss the engine. Small hoses needed. When the filter does not run hot anymore....its full clogged with millions of ameba's
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back