Best Toilet Paper Choices for Motorguard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought it would be easy to get toilet paper for the motorguard but the couple brands we had at home are too small. Special Canadian sizes eh?
canada.gif
It's definately time for a trip to a few stores with a ruler.

Ralph's original: 4.5" tall
Motorguard Air:4.5" tall very dense-good for oil? Plastic core though.

Brands I have on hand:
Scott 500/2ply: 4.25" tall
Purex: 500/2ply 4" tall

Could those of you who have had success with different brands/sizes please post what you are using so this post can be used by all for a reference.

Thanks!

Canadiantim: I have been using Members Mark from Sams Club and it is 2 ply 4.5X4. I don't trim any paper off and have to force into the filter housing.
Being the housing is tapered on both ends it squeezes the paper firm............Have been running it for two years with very good oil reports from Blackstone.

Most any Scott will work. I have some Canadian customers that use Scott Tradition. I saw some Tradition in a motel in BC a few years ago. I notice those things. It is probably a janitorial supply product. In Germany they have 3 1/2" paper.
I am getting pretty good at removing the core from the Motor Guard elements. The core will break down and melt in hot motor oil. Gasoline will break it down. The white label that keeps the roll from unrolling can take the heat and fuel. I am going to start putting 1 5/8" Nylatron cores in the fuel filters. That way the Motor Guard element will be a perfect fit with the plastic core removed. 1 5/8" TP will also be a perfect fit. The bottom Nylatron piece will seal 3 1/2" up inside the element. When I get the Motor Guards they have the Motor Guard elements. I have to use them. I reach in with a screw driver and collapse the core and twist it out. Then I reach in with long shears and cut the paper. Try to tear that tough stuff and it doesn't work. It's easier to deal with removing the core after the element has been compressed in the filter. Remove the core from a new element and the element is strong enough to make the hole get smaller. I have been taking them to work for the equipment. I'm using them to filter waste cooking oil. There are people that are working on an element for the TP filters that will work as well as TP that they can make money on. I say good luck. The people that have been using TP for years are not going to buy them. They might sell in countries where good TP is not available. One advantage to the Motor Guard element is for non automotive use such as where you can't risk getting even the smallest paper fiber in the product you are filtering.
I am in the process of setting up the big filters to take a roll of Scott roll towels. They are 8" by 12". I just ordered a case from www.vikingop.com. That is where I get the Scott Kimberly Clark that I will be using in the lube oil filters. I can wrap the roll tightly with 2" polypropylene tape to keep the roll from expanding and pinching in the gasket and use the whole roll. The reason the Motor Guard element doesn't pinch in the gasket is it is so strong that it can be squeezed without getting bigger. My old 35 year old Motor Guards were designed for TP. They had a lip to pull in the paper just before the halves came together. Luckily for TP users they didn't change the housing size. Don't buy any TP like the Marcal in Viking. It is similar to what Oilgard compares their filter elements to. Stick with the non channeling Scott.

Ralph
burnout.gif

how well does the oil get through the hard cardboard tube? i cant see much getting by it.

The Motorguard filter housing has a copper tube that fits tightly inside the cardboard tube. The oil flows up through this copper tube and then "soaks" back down through the toilet paper itself until it gets to the bottom and then exits the filter. The cardboard tube doesn't really do much other than add some structure to the TP and serve as a mount for the copper tube.

Some full flow filters use cardboard end caps since it stands up to oil flow and is cheap.

To restate what canadiantim said, the oil travels through the edges/end(s) of the tp roll ..not from the outside to the interior like a conventional filter. Hence the tube is just a tube ..nothing passes through it (well, maybe it does ..but it's not part of the big picture).

I'm still hunting through stores. What a scam toilet paper is! The thicker and cushier the roll (and the price), the NARROWER many rolls are. I've seen "triple rolls" that are 3.5" wide. They add a few extra wraps and then make it narrower so there's no more paper on the roll - it only looks fatter! Marketing 101...

I cannot find any rolls that fit. The problem is the height of the rolls. 98% of the rolls are 4" tall (length of cardboard tube). The best I found was 4.25" and it was too short to compress in the Motorguard.

Does anyone know if a 1 5/8 core roll will work ok in a MG with a copper core? The copper core fits a 1.5" perfectly snug but the 1 5/8 is sloppy but I think it may work since the top and bottom of the roll are compressed/sealed.

I'm sure I'll find some (and then buy a lifetime supply), but I'm quite surprised how the dimensions vary and have obviously shrunk over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back