Spinner ll, Centrifuge Bypass Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I just completed a VERY informal test with my Frantz bypass filter, and involving a Fleetgaurd 3894 Microglas full flow filter in the first test, and an Amsoil/Donaldson Nanofiber full flow in the second.

Both test runs used Delo 400 15/50 for approximately 5000 miles - here's the particle count results:

Earlier test on left, latest one (Amsoil/Donaldson filter) on right

particle1va4.jpg

And here was the "Standard" report on wear metals on the last run - very close to the first, so won't post it:

Very interesting, thanks for posting that!

The upper test results you posted look very different, yet you say the "standard" report was very close so you're not including it. Could you explain for those of us not used to reading oil reports, what those differences in the upper results mean in real terms? They look very different to me.

I'm considering changing from a Frantz to a centrifugal filter on my 2.4L TD Toyota. The oil remains full of visible soot after at least 10 TP changes, this is running Mobil 1 by the way. Not that the Frantz hasn't done a good job keeping the rings freed off etc., but I just heard a reliable report of a similar truck running a centrifugal cleaner with "honey-colored' oil. My interest was piqued naturally!

Quote:

...Not that the Frantz hasn't done a good job keeping the rings freed off etc., but I just heard a reliable report of a similar truck running a centrifugal cleaner with "honey-colored' oil. My interest was piqued naturally!

This isn't the same as what I have seen people post about the Spinner II...most don't think they work as well as TP, but I'm not sure I have ever seen a particle count from a spinner either...so take it for what it's worth...

steved

Truckers can get away with installing a centrifuge because of their very long trips that evaporates moisture from the oil. A centrifuge will not absorb water. Cellulose has a stronger affinity to water than oil and acts as a strong oil dessicant. If you make lots of short trips the centrifuge won't do much good for extending your OCI.

Have a look at this thread:

Motor Oil + Water + Heat

So if I'm reading Gary - K7GLD's post correctly, the Eao allowed ~4 times the amount of particles in the oil, but the wear on the engine was virtually the same? Interesting.

I'm not sure how much of an issue water is in my case, but probably there is some in the fuel. I assume this and moisture driven out of the metal of the engine and exhaust system explains the steam at the tailpipe I see for maybe 5 seconds after starting up.

It sounds like the best combination would be a TP filter for water and finer particulates with a centrifuge to remove most of the soot and larger particulates, thereby reducing change intervals for the TP and the need to add new oil when changing the TP. Although with the issue of depleted oil additives, adding that new oil is probably a good thing...

The fellow with the centrifuge was also using a pre-oiler. Must try to talk to him in person and post more details.

The smaller centrifuges seem to need at least 1gpm of flow which rules out an engine like mine that has a sump of about 5 litres. I'm looking into the UK and Europe as I've heard smaller units are made there.

I know centrifuges are used on Belarus tractors and some old Japanese bikes, any other places to look for a smaller unit?

I should add that the centrifuge makers claim filtration down to 1/10th of a micron. Of course, like any filter, the question is can they remove the particulates faster than the engine can produce/ingest them?

Quote:

Here's the smallest unit Mann & Hummel make: http://www.oilconditioningsystems.co.nz/...ec%20sheets.pdf

And just in case anyone gets the idea of cutting into the oil company's profits, the smaller unit uses a disposable cartridge that costs about $50.!

I wonder what the life span of the $50 throw away is
confused.gif
You'll also note that this appears to be available "down under" (or there abouts). I wonder what the unit costs U$D

I'll speculate that it's not available under that label in the US ..and is sold, maybe, at an extreme premium here if available at all.

It's the way things work here. Literally you can't get there from here.

I have just now installed a spinner ll on my duramax diesel truck. The truck has had a motorgaurd on it for about 15k. I will wait 10k and do an Test and post the results.

Should be interesting.

Dale

Quote:

I have just now installed a spinner ll on my duramax diesel truck. The truck has had a motorgaurd on it for about 15k. I will wait 10k and do an Test and post the results.

Should be interesting.

Dale

Yes. It should be informative. I wonder if you would see anything in the MG if you ran both. I imagine that you would ..but it would probably last longer. If I understand the installation ..it's hooked up just like a bypass filter? That can limit your sapping off of flow for dual installations I would imagine.

Quote:

If I understand the installation ..it's hooked up just like a bypass filter? That can limit your sapping off of flow for dual installations I would imagine.

There are several versions of the spinner IIRC...one uses compressed air, one uses an electric motor, and the most common uses the force of the motor oil to create the needed centrifugal force needed to sling the soot out of suspension. I belive the one using compressed air is supposed to woprk the best, but how many passenger cars have a compressed air supply on them?

One thing I seem to remember is they need to be mounted so they can gravity drain back to the pan??

I know the one I remember reading about seemed to work (based on the accumulated sludge in the canister)...but I can't remember if they did a particle count. I know they commented it didn't keep the oil any less black than normal.

I will be interested to see how well the spinner works! They are nice in the fact there is no media to replace.

steved

Quote:

I'm not sure how much of an issue water is in my case, but probably there is some in the fuel. I assume this and moisture driven out of the metal of the engine and exhaust system explains the steam at the tailpipe I see for maybe 5 seconds after starting up.

That is condensation from the exhaust pipes.

Quote:

So if I'm reading Gary - K7GLD's post correctly, the Eao allowed ~4 times the amount of particles in the oil, but the wear on the engine was virtually the same? Interesting.

The bypass filter difference usually doesn't show on a spectro . I am beginning to wonder about the accuracy/repeatability of Blackstone particle counts.

Quote:

As is the engines if cared for will probably outlast the rest of the truck.

Agreed, there are more than a few Dodge Cummins documented that sport over a million miles without anything but semi-regular oil changes, no fancy bypass filters, no fancy synthetic oils...

steved

At our winery I frequently run a Westfalia Separator aka Centrifuge, to remove thick material from incoming juice and after fermentation, to remove yeast cells and bentonite at the bottom of the fermentation tank. Comes in, and goes out basically the same port at the top of the centrifuge. It is on a special timer, with relays and has a "self cleaning" method that uses water pressure to raise the bowl and "dump" the contents out the ports while still spinning, then drops back down into position and wine flow is allowed to continue. DON'T get it overloaded or out of balance though!

I also appreciate the didgeridoo from the Australian North end.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back