wix 51050 for bypass filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a guy on ebay selling what looks like a perma cool remote filter adapter with a wix filter model 51050 for $65 he says it filters down to 2 microns. I went to wix's website and the filter is $5 and says type of filter is bypass. Anyone ever try a setup like this? Does it work as good as the others? You could get the adapter from summit for $29 the filter for $5 and have a $34 bypass. Seems to go to be true.

quote:

Originally posted by Bill Plock:
Several years ago I bought the B50's for under $4 each and the OB1305 for about $20 from

Hey this is neat. A reasonbly priced bypass filtration setup, that's inexpensise to maintain too.
grin.gif

fruit.gif

There are many others ..but the distribution is limited. Donaldson has just about every mount known to modern man available at their site. Matching them up with their respective filters is not as easy as it is with the Balwin/Wix type x-ref search engines.

Here's the HMK04 head assembly:

-

With that you can get filters from 2 um absolute on up.
 -

It appears, however, that the better stuff has odd fitting requirements. This one, for example, states " 1" "O" ring ports" whatever that means. I can assume that it mean 1" JIC threads with recesses for "O" rings.

P163681

HEAD ASSY
HMK04 head assy, SAE 16 ports, 25 psi bypass valve, no indicators

Application Details

View Product Line Drawing

Hydraulic Accessories Product Attributes
Product Type Description: HEAD ASSEMBLY HMK04 DURAMAX
Primary Application: 1'''' O-RING PORTS, 25 PSI BYPASS VALVE

Packaged Dimensions
Drawing Version U
Gross Weight in Pounds 1.35
Gross Length in Inches 3.7
Gross Width in Inches 4.6
Gross Height in Inches 4.3
Country of Origin US

This appears to be OEM on the Duramax
confused.gif

Well I was thinking that with a Supertech 98% at 20 microns, the cheapo bypass setup above would take care of everything from 12 microns up, and half of the stuff down to 2 microns, this would give you a great bang for your buck improvement.

However, I don't think Gary would be happy with anything that didn't supply 99.999% efficiency at 1 micron, or at least an ISO cleanliness level of 12/10/6
grin.gif

[ February 24, 2005, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

quote:

Well I was thinking that with a Supertech 98% at 20 microns, the cheapo bypass setup above would take care of everything from 12 microns up, and half of the stuff down to 2 microns, this would give you a great bang for your buck improvement.

Yep ...looks like a Scotman's dream
grin.gif
(PC disclaimer: my ancestry is Scottish btw). It lowers the ante quite a bit on getting something better than standard filtration.

quote:

However, I don't think Gary would be happy with anything that didn't supply 99.999% efficiency at 1 micron, or at least an ISO cleanliness level of 12/10/6
grin.gif

Just what are you trying to say here, pal??
grin.gif

"...as we strive for perfection" the Borg Queen
freak2.gif

UPC Number: 765809510500
Principal Application: Allis-Chalmers, Fiat, Continental, GM, Hyster, Isuzu, Iveco, Towmotor, Other
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: By-Pass
Media: Paper
Height: 5.178
Outer Diameter Top: 3.660
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 5/8-18
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

As far as I know ..there is no Permacool offered in a 5/8-18 thread. At least one you can buy through any common vendor.

There was also one unit, also on ebay, that showed a dual Permacool setup where one had a bypass on it. ..hmmm..I can't remember the number. The guy had allegedly used it on a MB diesel and had it rigged for a cooler as well. Again, it too, had a ba$tard thread that you can't commonly get from Permacool.

They tend to make all spin-on bypass filters in an uncommon thread. This, I imagine, is to avoid someone from putting them on the wrong application as a full flow.

I was too suspect of the closeness of 5/8-18 and 3/4 -16 (I couldn't find two threads to test them to see how far you can thread them together before they clash) and imagined that the guy had managed to thread the wrong filter on the mount.

single remote mounts
and others

Now there is a WIX number for a mount and a bypass filter. ..hmm lemme see if I can tap dance through the Baldwin site to get the original numbers ..that just happen to x-ref to Wix (for the mount too)....

Microlite By-Pass Lube Spin-on
Notes : Can be used with OB1305 base.
Contains : Flow Control Orifice
Fits : Allis Chalmers, Caterpillar Engines; Jeep Light-Duty Trucks; Massey Ferguson, Oliver Equipment
Replaces : Allis Chalmers 4512207-3; Caterpillar 666-3172; Chrysler J0936407; Massey Ferguson 1069954-M91
Thread : 5/8-18
O.D. : 3 11/16 (93.7)
Length : 5 3/8 (136.5)
I.Gskt : G381-A
Related to : B164 (Long Version)
BT341 (Short Version)

Then plugging the OB1305 part # into Wix ..we get..

UPC Number: 765809247550
Principal Application: By-Pass Filter Base to Add Spin-on By-Pass Filter on Small Gas and Diesel Engines. (51050, 51051 or 51320 May be Used)
All Applications
Style: Filter Mounting Base
Service:
Note: Lube Filter Conversion Kits By-Pass Filter For Small Gas And Diesel Engines

Large Gas and Diesel engine equipped with cartridge type by-pass filters can be converted to the convenience of a spin-on with this kit. The kit may also be used to add-on supplemental by-pass filtration to provide increased engine protection. A choice of three different sized filters are available.

This should be available at any NAPA I would think ...and might possibly be made by Permacool
dunno.gif

Iceberg,

As Gary pointed out the WIX 51050 crosses to a Baldwin B50. I used the B50's with the OB1305 Base on my 98 Chevy K3500 6.5 Diesel. Baldwin sent me a data sheet on the B50's and they are speced at 2 microns nominal (50% efficiency, Beta2=2) and 12 microns absolute (98.7%, beta12 =75). Several years ago I bought the B50's for under $4 each and the OB1305 for about $20 from www.westfleet.com.

smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Donaldson has just about every mount known to modern man available at their site....

...This appears to be OEM on the Duramax
confused.gif

Gary,

I looked into the Donaldson offerings when researching oil-bypass filters for my 03 Chevy 6.6L Duramax Diesel. I also found the common name interesting... However, the Donaldson "Duramax" hydraulic filters have no relation to the GM "Duramax" Diesel. As I recall these filters were very high quality and come with some impressive beta specs. I would think they would work great as an engine oil bypass filter. IIRC the mounts for these filters could also be fitted with various restriction monitors. The only negative was that replacement elements were expensive. I ended up installing an OilGuard Bypass.

smile.gif

I found the common "trademark" reference odd, myself. I've never heard of any other Duramax then our Isuzu/GM engine.
dunno.gif

I'm sure the Donaldson Duramax filters are expensive ..probably the head unit isn't cheap either. The Oil Guard is a great filter. It's just that, they too, make it a proprietory element that isn't cheap compared to filters of like filtration and mass in the industry.

(hmm...little voice whispering .." I wonder if we could get some outfit to make Oil Guard clones for a much cheaper price?")

btw- (attempting to be "casual" as he tries to get the info he wants without sounding too eager) ..what does one of those replacement elements cost you? You don't happen to have the O.D. and I.D. handy do you? It sorta looks like a string wound version of a tp roll.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
...what does one of those replacement elements cost you? You don't happen to have the O.D. and I.D. handy do you? ..

Gary,

I bought a six-pack of OilGuard elements, which worked out to $14.56 each (including shipping). The elements consist of a plastic spindle with an end-cap that is spirally wound with string….Dimmensions are 3.75”(D) x 4” and thread diameter looks to be 5/8 or 3/4.They also come with two o-rings. I’m currently running the elements for 20-25k miles so $14.56 seems to be a reasonable price (IMHO). UOA’s have been good too.

smile.gif

Yep, they too appear to have locked out any generic competition.
mad.gif
(can you tell that I really have a dislike for interlocking proprietory technologies??
grin.gif
)

If I ever get any money behind me ...I'm going to come up with a bypass filter element that will last longer than TP and cost peanuts to replace.

It shouldn't be that hard to do ..
smile.gif

Regarding the Baldwin and Wix mounts above, do they include a flow restrictor? Or to ask another way: Would one need anything more than a sandwich adapter, mount and filter listed above, and some hoses/fittings?

quote:

took away much of my enthusiasm for trying it.

Why?
confused.gif
It's not going to work as well as tp or the Amsoil units ...but it's superior to ff filters and is cheap.

Ultra fine filtration is great and the MG and Amsoil units have their own unique niche markets..but there's a deminishing rate of return beyond a certain level.

This thing looks great for someone who wants an upgrade from standard filtration, but can't manage (or chooses not to make) the investment in a MG or Amsoil unit.

Cool. I think I'm going to look for a used TP-type. If I don't find one of those, I'll put the Baldwin or Wix mount on and run a B50. Several of my old trucks ran the B50 (or longer version of same); it was either all the Cummins engines or all the Caterpillars that ran it.

If I go TP-type, though, I think I'm going back to dino oil. I really want synthetic to be superior, and I suppose it is from a technical point of view, but operationally I believe it is not superior for me or my vehicles. Delo and/or Delvac will get me long drains and excellent cleanliness for ~$2-$2.50/qt instead of $5-$8/qt for the synthetics that I want to like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back