MOTOR GUARD problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, i still have a leak coming from my full flow filter even after changing from a Frantz Adapter to a Perma-Cool. I have a Amsoil SDF15 filter with a Motor Guard bypass system. The fittings aren't touching the filter thats for sure, so i dunno why it keeps leaking my car must be cursed with the do not put bypass ghost becuase it ALWAYS LEAKS.

I spent so much money on this thing and im ready to disconnect it becuase of all the agony and $$ worth of oil it costed me.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

[ March 04, 2004, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Doug Hillary:
Hi,
commiserations - yes as mentioned here before, when fitting an after market by-pass filter it is all a case of COST to BENEFIT!

Regards

Well the immediate benefit is clean oil, but the disadvantage is that it leaks a 1/2 quart every 30 minutes of driving.

The filter isn't to blame if the adapter is leaking. There must be a mechanical reason for it. Triple check the mating surfaces on the block, the fittings, and the tightness.
I remember once I had two oil filter gaskets together. At idle it was okay, but it leaked when I drove it.

quote:

Originally posted by terryr:
The filter isn't to blame if the adapter is leaking. There must be a mechanical reason for it. Triple check the mating surfaces on the block, the fittings, and the tightness.
I remember once I had two oil filter gaskets together. At idle it was okay, but it leaked when I drove it.

Looks good, fittings are tight. mating surfaces is good clean. It leaks EXACTLY the same way as the Frantz Adapter.

therion,
I am trying to understand this so please let me ask. If this is the same Amsoil FF that did not work on your other sandwich adapter, is it possible that the FF has the problem? Just asking, without seeing the patient, it is hard to diagnose, but changing the one Constant in this case, the FF maybe that could be the cause.

If the FF is not the cause, did you put grease on the gasket of the FF and the adapter engine side gasket. That helps in some cases.

I'm out of ideas. My recommendation is to always install any Bypass using the present dirty oil and run that for 500 miles. If no leaks, then change the FF, bypass and oil and you are a go for a long time.

quote:

Originally posted by therion:
I spent so much money on this thing and im ready to disconnect it becuase of all the agony and $$ worth of oil it costed
mad.gif

I have never seen a Frantz adapter leak. I thought what the heck there is always a first time. I have used the Frantz adapters for over 20 years. I sent you a free Perma-Cool adapter(after sending you the free Frantz adapter) that I have never seen leak except when I put one on my Toyota Camry which had a filter mount too small for the Perma-Cool adapter. I solved the problem with an adapter plate. If I sent you a Flex-A-Lite adpater it would also leak. It is like if I sold someone a full flow filter and it leaked I would just return the money or replace the filter. About the second or third time I would be asking what the heck are you
pat.gif
doing wrong.
My policy is to never allow someone to be unhappy with my filters. Pack up the filter and adapters and an estimate of how much the oil you wasted cost you. I will return all of your money including shipping. I have a 351 Ford at work that needs a filter.
Please remove the filter element and wipe out the filter.

Ralph
burnout.gif

[ February 21, 2004, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: RalphPWood ]

Ralph W,

I applaud your business practices. From the limited technical information that I have seen in this thread and in a previous thread, this problem is likely just a simple installation issue and not a problem with any of the components that you have provided.

I just put a Frantz adapter plate on a car with no leak problems at all. And I am using an double adapter plate setup -- the first plate converts a cartridge element to a spin on element; the second Frantz plate allows me to tap pressurized oil for a bypass filter. I was careful to match the four plate surfaces and 4 gaskets involved in my setup. Maybe I just got lucky.

Therion, before blaming the MotorGuard filter and giving up on a bypass filter that will help your engine, why not take your car to a local mechanic and get a second set of eyes on the problem. That sometimes works wonders.

I still suspect the problem will be something simple, like incorrect gasket sizes, incorrect matching of flare fittings to AN fittings, or a leak unrelated to the new equipment, but created during the installation process. Let us know what that second mechanic thinks!

Good luck,

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
therion,
I am trying to understand this so please let me ask. If this is the same Amsoil FF that did not work on your other sandwich adapter, is it possible that the FF has the problem? Just asking, without seeing the patient, it is hard to diagnose, but changing the one Constant in this case, the FF maybe that could be the cause.

If the FF is not the cause, did you put grease on the gasket of the FF and the adapter engine side gasket. That helps in some cases.

I'm out of ideas. My recommendation is to always install any Bypass using the present dirty oil and run that for 500 miles. If no leaks, then change the FF, bypass and oil and you are a go for a long time.

I have gone through 3 FF filters, and yes the one with the Perma-Cool adapter is a brand new filter once again
banghead.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mangusta1969:
Ralph W,

I applaud your business practices. From the limited technical information that I have seen in this thread and in a previous thread, this problem is likely just a simple installation issue and not a problem with any of the components that you have provided.

I just put a Frantz adapter plate on a car with no leak problems at all. And I am using an double adapter plate setup -- the first plate converts a cartridge element to a spin on element; the second Frantz plate allows me to tap pressurized oil for a bypass filter. I was careful to match the four plate surfaces and 4 gaskets involved in my setup. Maybe I just got lucky.

Therion, before blaming the MotorGuard filter and giving up on a bypass filter that will help your engine, why not take your car to a local mechanic and get a second set of eyes on the problem. That sometimes works wonders.

I still suspect the problem will be something simple, like incorrect gasket sizes, incorrect matching of flare fittings to AN fittings, or a leak unrelated to the new equipment, but created during the installation process. Let us know what that second mechanic thinks!

Good luck,

Steve

I thought about that, but i'm all out of money and I couldn't even afford the visit.

quote:

Originally posted by RalphPWood:

quote:

I spent so much money on this thing and im ready to disconnect it becuase of all the agony and $$ worth of oil it costed
mad.gif

I have never seen a Frantz adapter leak. I thought what the heck there is always a first time. I have used the Frantz adapters for over 20 years. I sent you a free Perma-Cool adapter(after sending you the free Frantz adapter) that I have never seen leak except when I put one on my Toyota Camry which had a filter mount too small for the Perma-Cool adapter. I solved the problem with an adapter plate. If I sent you a Flex-A-Lite adpater it would also leak. It is like if I sold someone a full flow filter and it leaked I would just return the money or replace the filter. About the second or third time I would be asking what the heck are you
pat.gif
doing wrong.
My policy is to never allow someone to be unhappy with my filters. Pack up the filter and adapters and an estimate of how much the oil you wasted cost you. I will return all of your money including shipping. I have a 351 Ford at work that needs a filter.
Please remove the filter element and wipe out the filter.

Ralph
burnout.gif

Thank you Ralph. I appreciate your consideration on this matter. Let's try to get this thing to work I haven't lost all hope yet
smile.gif

Have you solved the problem yet? I was wondering is the leak coming from between the plate and the block, or between the plate and the ff filter?

quote:

Originally posted by deepsquat:
Have you solved the problem yet? I was wondering is the leak coming from between the plate and the block, or between the plate and the ff filter?

Yes it's fixed. The leak was comin from a 90* fitting i used. I ended up ditching the fitting and the leak is gone. Now i have a coolant leak, so thats my next project
tongue.gif

Coolant leak fixed! it was a loose clamp!

Truck seems to run "smoother" with the bypass filter. Maybe the engine likes clean oil better.

Changed my roll of tp for the first time at 3,050 miles. Yes i know i procrastinated alittle too long but the tp was very dirty! you can definately tell this thing is doing its job. Used Scott 1000 sheet tp this time and i unwound it until it fit.. ill prolly change it at 2k this time.

And no noticeable oil usage on the dipstick in the whole duration of the test. Oil looks like brand new Mobil 1 still
smile.gif

quote:

Changed my roll of tp for the first time at 3,050 miles. Yes i know i procrastinated alittle too long but the tp was very dirty! you can definately tell this thing is doing its job. Used Scott 1000 sheet tp this time and i unwound it until it fit.. ill prolly change it at 2k this time.

And no noticeable oil usage on the dipstick in the whole duration of the test. Oil looks like brand new Mobil 1 still
smile.gif

Feels good to have clean Oil don't it? I have a Frantz on my Tranny (Ford PSD) and I just swithched over to Mobil 1 synthetic fluid.. Between the Frantz filtering the fluid and having Mobil 1 synthetic I can hardly notice the transmission shift! It shifts so smoooooth... I remember when I first installed The Frantz on the tranny, within a few miles of driving my truck all of a sudden it started to shift much, much, smoother! I figure I went from #400 grit fluid to pure clean fluid almost instantaneously.. After changing the Filter element on the Tranny Frantz at 500 miles (I installed the Frantz on the tranny at 42,000 so the fluid was pretty dirty,)the element was filthy with greyish/blackish streaks all through it, not to mention the whole element in general had this silvery tint to it..When I looked into the bottom of the canister that holds the element I noticed little pieces of metal the size of grains of sand.. I now change the element every 5,000 miles on the tranny and 2,000 miles on the Engine, and 5,000 miles on the fuel.

[ April 09, 2004, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Mykro ]

Yeah it does, Now i'm not scared to put too many miles on it LOL i drive it everywhere now.

My next investment will be a tranny filter! as soon as i figure out a good set-up for my van. Unfortunately lately i've been spending lots of money in a new sound system in my van
smile.gif
But thats important as well to keep me entertained while i put many more miles on my van hehe

[ April 09, 2004, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: therion ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back