I'm happy Amsoil BMK 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,

Just got my oil analysis back on my 2003 Jetta TDI. I mounted the Amsoil by-pass system BMK 11. Which is just a by-pass filter by itself. I hooked up the system last july and have since put 10,000 miles on the oil. I am very happy with my wear numbers, soot numbers, and viscosity of the oil, which was a very high 30 wt and will most likely become a 40wt in the next few months, where I'm sure it will stay for a long time.

I'm using a 1 1/2 quart filter for this setup. I could also fit the 2 quart filter but this was the one I ordered.

I can't say as all by-pass filters are created equal, but overall I'm happy with the construction of the Amsoil systems both the Dual remote and the single systems.

For the best overall cost savings I'm thinking the BMK 11 would be very hard to beat. Yes the filters are a little more expensive than toilet paper, or the oil guard filters, but they are so easy to change, and have a very high filtration surface area which helps it last longer, flow more oil and hold more contaminants than the toilet paper designs. I'm probaby going to change out the by-pass filter in the summer at around 15,000-18,000 on the oil. This will allow me to top up and engine I keep the TBN in good shape.

Cost, the single system retails for the BMK11 is $161 without the filter and the filters retail for $26.25 for the 1 quart, $29.40 for the 1.5 quart, and $31.95 for the 2 quart filter.

If your interested in more information, let me know.

-

Here is my Oil analysis information.

Here is my sample of on the TDI with 10,000 miles on the oil and 21000 on the engine.

Test was completed by CTC analytical Services.

I put a by-pass filter on at the 10K mark running an Amsoil Single remote system with a BE 100 with the oil return going to the drain plug.

This is the Gasoline engine oil Series 2000 0w30. I had no additional oil added and no filter changes for the 10,000 miles. I'm especially happy with the soot reading for this car. Looks like everything is doing good.

• Iron 54
  • Chrome 5
  • Lead 2
  • Copper 9
  • Tin 0
  • Alum 5
  • Nickel 0
  • Silver 0
  • Silicon 7
  • Boron 16
  • Sodium 0
  • Mag 843
  • Calcium 2484
  • Barium 0
  • PH 1173
  • ZN 1359
  • Moly 0
  • Titanium 0
  • Vanadium 0
  • Potassium 0
  • Fuel >1
  • Vis100 12.40
  • Water 0
  • Soot .45
  • Gly Neg
  • Nitr 13
  • Oxd 15
  • TN 8.22

No corrective action oil is suitable for continued use.

Msparks,

That sounds like a good bypass filter setup and the numbers look good, too. For comparison, do you have any baseline oil analysis numbers at the 10K or 11K engine mileage point, before the bypass filter was installed?

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by mangusta1969:
Msparks,

That sounds like a good bypass filter setup and the numbers look good, too. For comparison, do you have any baseline oil analysis numbers at the 10K or 11K engine mileage point, before the bypass filter was installed?

Steve

Steve, sorry this is the first analysis, I didn't do one at the 5 or 10K mark as I figured it would be skewed because the engine was breaking in. I'm still thinking there is break in going on with this engine as well.

quote:

Originally posted by therion:
Doesn't the iron seem kinda high??

This engine only has 20,000 miles. I put the bypass on at 10K. I'm guess the iron is elevated because of this.

I will be monitoring this. As time goes by, the wear metals should come down then at the end of the engines life they will go back up.

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:

quote:

Doesn't the iron seem kinda high??

This engine only has 20,000 miles. I put the bypass on at 10K. I'm guess the iron is elevated because of this.

I will be monitoring this. As time goes by, the wear metals should come down then at the end of the engines life they will go back up.

Also, i really recommend you try Amsoils HDD 5W-30, it has better cleaning agents and specifically designed for diesel engines. The series 2000 wont suspend damaging soot particles quite as good as the HDD 5W-30.
cheers.gif

quote:

The series 2000 wont suspend damaging soot particles quite as good as the HDD 5W-30.
cheers.gif
[/QB]

Soot will only cause damage when it agglomorates, since all soot larger than 3 microns and 50% of soot at 1 micron will be removed, you don't have to worry about wear or damage. BTW my soot level was less than 1% anyhow.

quote:

Originally posted by msparks:

quote:

The series 2000 wont suspend damaging soot particles quite as good as the HDD 5W-30.
cheers.gif
Soot will only cause damage when it agglomorates, since all soot larger than 3 microns and 50% of soot at 1 micron will be removed, you don't have to worry about wear or damage. BTW my soot level was less than 1% anyhow. [/QB]

Oh ok cool. I forgot u had the bypass which will catch it all anyway! cool later

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back