Oil Gaurd for 95 Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really cant go wrong with the EPS-10 it will work nicely and fits easily, but I went for the EPS-20 because the replacement elements are not much more $ but are quite a bit larger that of the EPS-10, also the EPS-20 looks like it has deeper filtering media although I have not seen both elements first hand I am only judging from pictures, it seams to me this would make it more effective at filtering but I have no empirical evidence that the 20 is any better filter than the 10, just a guess

the EPS-60 is the same diameter as the EPS-20 but much longer giving it much more filtering area to catch contaminants and is only a few bucks more again, but I would have a hard time finding a place to mount that beast,

I would get the biggest you can fit

Racor a company related to Oil Guard and a division of Parker sells element that look very similar to the oil guard ones but about half the price

I wonder if thaey are the same elements and if this could be a source for cheaper replacements?

[ January 03, 2004, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: RavenTai ]

Although the Jeep owner below had his excellent results with the Oilguard EPS10 filter, I agree with Raventai that you should use the biggest filter that will fit in your vehicle, so that might be the EPS20.

From Oilguard, the EPS10 elements are $11 each, while the much larger EPS20 elements are $13 each. While the Oilguard EPS10 and EPS20 units are nicely made with wound cotton string and replacement o-rings are included with each filter, they have got to be a high profit item at $11 and $13 each.

For those considering the Oilguard unit or anyone on the fence about bypass filters, here's the Jeep link that has now come back to life with some updated data using an EPS10 and a Supertech full flow filter:

http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=2967909

The new data is still showing that the Oilguard bypass filter is doing an excellent job on a Jeep 4.0 engine. I wish we had some similar long term oil analysis data for other filters, including the Frantz and Motorguard TP units.

Raventai, I searched both the Racor and Parker web sites, with no good results. I could not find any reference to similar filters or to Oilguard on either of the web sites. Can you post some more specific urls about the possible use/pricing of the Racor filters in the Oilguard housings?

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by mangusta1969:
Raventai, I searched both the Racor and Parker web sites, with no good results. I could not find any reference to similar filters or to Oilguard on either of the web sites. Can you post some more specific urls about the possible use/pricing of the Racor filters in the Oilguard housings?

Steve

I was going to post a link to the filters but Racors site is screwed up, do me a favor and go to www.parker.com/racor at the links at the top of the page the lower row hover on products then a menu of links will appear all of those links go to “page cannot be displayed” for me. Let me know if they do the same for you

if you go to the racor site there are 6 pictures the lower center picture contains one of the filter housing that looks just like the oilguard filter

if I remember correctly the ones that looked like they would fit the eps-20 were about 5$ list. less than half of what Oilguard wants

on a previous trip to their site I had found the spec sheets and pictures of that filter and they are identical to the oilguard except for finish and markings as far as I can tell

I have never seen any reference to oilguard on any of parkers sites but oilguard mentions Racor on their site http://www.oilguard.com/racor_dist.php I am not exactly sure what Racors and oilguards relationship is but they have one

thanks google
smile.gif

http://www.maesco.com/products/racor/r_lfs_intro/r_lfs_specs/r_lfs_specs.html

look at the Racor lfs- 800, 801, and 802 thse look just like the Oilguard EPs- 10, 20, and 60

still cant get onto the racor site to get prices

Raventai,

Yes, both the Racor and Parker sites could use some webmaster repairs. I get the following errors from the Racor site for all of those links:

Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 800706ba'

Server.CreateObject Failed

I did see what you mean in one of the pictures on the Racor site. That unit is a dead ringer for the Oilguard unit.

I am going to take a little "field trip" up to Oilguard/MTM next Monday or Tuesday -- they are only about 20 miles north of me in Oceanside, CA. I will ask about their relations with these other two companies, but I don't think I will mention the big price difference just yet.

There are a number of Racor filter items found via Google, but I couldn't see many pictures of the filters. I will keep my eyes open for these wound elements and please do the same for me (EPS10/EPS20 elements).

thanks,

Steve

mustang: not sure if you saw my last two posts more pics and specs of the rancor filter, still no prices

let us know what happens on your field trip
smile.gif

Raventai,

No, I had not seen your three urls earlier. Thanks for posting them. The maesco site has the most details on the Racor filters. I will call them and ask about the availability and cost of the Racor filter elements and the LFS801 filter unit.

In a number of other Google searches earlier today, I found another source (dieselinjection.com) for the Racor LFS801. The cost was about the same, at $146. It did not have any other details, so the Maesco site looks like the best bet for now.

Racors site is finally back up

literature on the bypass filters http://www.parker.com/racor/pdf/Section06.pdf (see page 11)

looks identical to http://www.oilguard.com/side_menu/products/tech_specs.php

price list http://www.parker.com/racor/pdf/2004RacorListPrices-Fuel.pdf (see page 25)

part # LFS 801BPE witch looks like it may fit the Oilguard EPS-20 is 34.70 for a 6 pack witch makes 5.78 per element, much less than the $11 oilguard wants, both claim sub micron filtration and look the same, but are they the same?

The filter housing is much more expensive from Racor @ just under $200, the cheapest combo would be Racor filter elements in an Oilguard housing (if possible)

$5.78 is also a whole lot less than amsoil wants for their bypass filters, but still not as cheap as the king of cheap filtration TP.

When I get home larer this week I am going to go Williams Detroit Diesel and see if they have some of those filters on hand for me to look at and compare them to the oilguard filters I already have

PS the cleanable full flow filter and the spin on remote adapters also look interesting

http://www.parker.com/racor/pdf/Section06.pdf

if you have a bypass filter taking care of all the small stuff I would think a cleanable screen would be a good idea

Thanks for hitting the sites again and posting the information. Unfortunately, my reading of the pdf price list from the site is that the price quoted by Racor is per each filter, not for a case of filters. Racor is showing how the filters are shipped (6 to a case), but I don't think the company is quoting the price of a case of filters. So the Racor filter element and filter kit prices are both quite a bit higher than the Oilguard prices.

To clear up any confusion, I will check the element prices out with Maesco (and Racor, if possible) in some phone calls this morning.

I agree with you, the use of the Racor screen full flow filters should work pretty well with the combination of a bypass filter. I think Racor bought the Oberg line of screen filters a while back. I think these filters were first used years ago on VW-powered dune buggies. Some race cars still use these filters to ensure good flow of oil to bearings and also to permit quick inspection for engine health after each race. Other manufacturers may also make this type of full flow screen filter now, as any Oberg patents would be expired by now.

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by mangusta1969:
Thanks for hitting the sites again and posting the information. Unfortunately, my reading of the pdf price list from the site is that the price quoted by Racor is per each filter, not for a case of filters. Racor is showing how the filters are shipped (6 to a case), but I don't think the company is quoting the price of a case of filters. So the Racor filter element and filter kit prices are both quite a bit higher than the Oilguard prices.

pat.gif
oops yopu may be right about that, if so that is way too expensive
thumbsdown.gif

let us know what you find
smile.gif

Raventai and other Oilguard users,

Oilguard/MTM prices for filter elements and bypass kits are starting to look pretty excellent.

Here's what I found today on replacement element costs for the EPS-10 unit (Racor LFS 800 unit appears identical). The actual Racor part number for the element is LFS800BPE.

1. Maesco (NJ) (800) 257-8133 $18.45 each

2. Racor (CA) 209-521-7860 $24.60 list price for each filter, not for a case of 6; they referred me to some distributors in the San Diego area, one of which is SouthBay Diesel, just below.

3. SouthBay Diesel (SD, CA) 619-233-1633
They will sell the Racor filters for 20% off of Racor's list price (about $19.68 each at today's Racor list price of $24.60)

Oilguard sells the EPS10 elements at $11 each and the EPS20 elements at $13 each, each of these are a deal compared to the above pricing.

I guess I will buy a case of bypass filter elements when I am on my Oilguard field trip tomorrow. I will see what they might do for a ten case price, too.

Any other questions for me to ask the Oilguard guys tomorrow?

Steve

wow sorry I sent this traed on a wild chace to a dead end
twak.gif
that does make the oilguard elements a good deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back