Who makes Mopar motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only a hunch but I would guess that Mopar branded oil is supplied by Valvoline.
The Valvoline website shows a picture of a ZJ (Grand Cherokee) on their anti-freeze page.
Chrysler switched their Anti-Freeze to G-05 formulation in 2001 and it appears that Valvoline(Zerex) is the only U.S. Company that markets it.
In any case it doesn't matter who Chrysler buys their oil from as it will be made to Chrysler specs no matter who makes it.
Ed

Large company's generally buy from whoever has the lowest price and it's not uncommon for them to use a different supplier when they need another load.

So it could be Valvoline, Pennz, Texaco or Mobile etc, all in the same year.

The last time I went to the Jeep boutique
grin.gif
at my local Jeep dealer ...Mopar synthetic was Mobil 1. That was last year.

Mopar Motor Oil is made by ExxonMobil. Mobil made it for years, even before the merger with Exxon. Mobil also makes OEM-branded oils for GM, Honda, Toyota, CAT, Detroit Diesel, etc. etc. and Mobil 1 is the factory fill and service fill oil of choice for Porsche, Mercedes, etc. etc.

quote:

Originally posted by LoobDood:
Mopar Motor Oil is made by ExxonMobil. Mobil made it for years, even before the merger with Exxon. Mobil also makes OEM-branded oils for GM, Honda, Toyota, CAT, Detroit Diesel, etc. etc. and Mobil 1 is the factory fill and service fill oil of choice for Porsche, Mercedes, etc. etc.

My local Toyota dealer uses Castrol GTX for their "Genuine Toyota Oil Change"

quote:

Originally posted by Ed:

In any case it doesn't matter who Chrysler buys their oil from as it will be made to Chrysler specs no matter who makes it.
Ed

lol yeah Chrysler's specs are the following:
-cheapest bidder
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:

quote:

ah yes. people 'round these parts pay upwards of 90 dollars for that "genuine toyota oil change". its like they package the "experience" at toyota's hiroshima plant
rolleyes.gif

A co-worker of mine takes his Dodge Dakota Pick-up to the local Dodge dealer to have his oil changed. He asked the service manager what oil company supplies the MOPAR MOTOR OIL to the dealership? The service manager replied: The oil is supplied by EXXON/MOBIL and that the actual oil is MOBILE DRIVE CLEAN.

Johnny(Pennzoil) is a good source for info about various lubricant industry businesss issues.

Here are his comments from a recent thread.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008275

quote:

Mobil makes oil for the following car mfg.

GM, MoPar, Honda, and Toyota.

How do I know this, one of my largest distributors is also a Mobil distributor. They are authorized to supply all of the above dealers. When they make a delivery to one of these dealers, they send the paperwork in to Mobil for billing.

Now, not all of the above dealers carry the mfg brand oil. Some may choose to sell Pennzoil, Quaker State, Castrol, Valvoline, or whatever they want. They will all have some of the mfg oil in stock for warranty purposes, or the so called free oil change the mfg supplies.

Hope this helps to clear things up.

Then there is Ford. Ford has two suppliers. Conoco makes the MotorCraft oils you see in the red bottles on the retail selves. The factory fill oil for Ford products is Shell.

I use to work for a Mobil distributor in the early nineties and the Mobil supplied 80% of all of the factory fill oil in North America and they made the GM and Toyota aftermarket oil.

quote:

Originally posted by StanW:
I use to work for a Mobil distributor in the early nineties and the Mobil supplied 80% of all of the factory fill oil in North America and they made the GM and Toyota aftermarket oil.

I thought Toyota made Toyota oil
grin.gif

I wouldn't doubt that Mobil would supply most cars with the factory fill and bottled oils. They probably have the most flexible supply chain and best pricing for the auto mfr's in those huge quantities.

quote:

Originally posted by the_oil_dealer:

quote:

Originally posted by JeepZJ4.0:

quote:

ah yes. people 'round these parts pay upwards of 90 dollars for that "genuine toyota oil change". its like they package the "experience" at toyota's hiroshima plant
rolleyes.gif

Hey, we've had no complaints. The Avalon gets it oil changed every 3K miles. The Toyota oil filter is a very very nice piece. So if anything, we are paying for the genuine Toyota oil filter. **** , they wash and vacumm the car, top off all fluids. For 20 bucks..... My dad's happy.

I'm the only person that crawls under their car to change the oil. Mom and dad take it to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back