Cleaning a Mass Air Sensor (MAF)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have experience cleaning these Bosch hot wire sensors? They get contaminated by dirt, oil, silicon, potting compound from the sensor itself, etc. I've read conflicting reports about cleaning them with alcohol, electrical contact cleaner, carburetor cleaner, and circuit board solder flux removal solvent. These things go bad regularly and cost $200 - $300.

We still have the original MAF on our older Taurus with 190k miles, but it's been cleaned a few times. I stopped using CRC 'electrical cleaner' as it was melting plastic, and just use +90% rubbing alcohol and a small modeling paint brush. You need about 8x to 10x to look at it carefully, and finish off with an electrical check after it's installed. They're very fragile so be careful.

Use a throttle body clean that say's is sensor safe.

Don't use std. Berryman's B12 Carb Cleaner. It's an excellent cleaner but too harsh.

I donno where my post went...
IS the MAF sensor functioning?
I wouldn't try to clean it myself if its working, as they are rather expensive. If its broke, then go for it
smile.gif

As already mentioned 90%+ Isopropyl alcohol would be a good cleaner.
Electrical contact cleaner shouldn't be melting plastic,but maybe certain types?? Not sure.

CRC QD Electronic Cleaner is what I've used to clean MAFs for years. Never had a problem with it melting plastic though, in fact, the can says that it is safe for most plastics and paper tapes. I wouldn't spray it on anything made of polystyrene, but there's not a lot on a vehicle made from that type of plastic.

quote:

Originally posted by 1sttruck:
and a small modeling paint brush. They're very fragile so be careful.

You really don't want to touch the MAF wire with anything, not even a soft brush. These things are VERY fragile and usually an expensive item to replace.

It's best just to use an aerosol electric cleaner and let it air dry.

I have used the CRC QD Electronic Cleaner many times to clean the MAF sensor of my '03 Toyota Echo without any problems.

http://www.crcindustries.com/crcweb/

LECTRA-MOTIVE ELECTRIC PARTS CLEANER

Part # CRC-05018

is the stuff that I see at most auto supply places, and their web site states that it's not plastic safe. It's what I initially used on the MAF, and it didn't get it clean. If you aren't using 8x to 10x magnification you can't see if you're getting it clean. The Testors model brush produces a lot less force than the spray from the cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back