Triflow vs WD-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by tom slick:
I agree triflow would be a better lube than wd40. there are plenty of other lubes that are even better than triflow though.

Let's here them.

along the lines of a light oil type lubrication would be LPS #2, Amsoil makes a couple, break free clp (it stinks though)...

tell me what you want to lubricate and I'll make reccomendations.

Just general household items like door hinges, ball bearings on my garage door coasters, etc....

I've used triflow in the past, but it's like twice the price of WD-40 in my area. I would assume it's because of the teflon in it.

tri-flow is fine for general around the house stuff and is cheap enough. in fact I wouldn't reccomend anything different if it is easy to get and cheap enough for you. it's smell isn't too bad either.

I have/have used BreakFree CLP, Triflow, WD40, Eezox, Tufoil, Tetra, Lockease, and others. I threw out the Tetra oil as it cracks plastics. I use the CLP and Triflow less now except to clean and oil hand tools, as I've been using Mobil 1 75W90 for everything except for three items; I still use Lockease on locks, Eezox on my pocket knives, and Eezox and CLP on firearms.

The Mobil 1 doesn't seem too thick as it works well on my older (I think I bought it in the 70s) plain bearing Dremel, but I wouldn't use it on locks. It works a LOT better than CLP or Triflow as a lube.

I buy WD40 by the gallon as I use it for cleaning and short term protection on most large tools in the garage, including the mower top to bottom, but I don't use it as a lube.

A 90wt gear would be the best all the spray oils are light vis with not much guts or additives thick is best.
Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back