cleaning solvent for parts washer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just purchased a 3 gal washer. All I can find is water-based (water-diluted) cleaning fluids.I don't like water-based because it will rust my machine and parts if not quickly dried. Does anyone have a reccommendation? Thanks. Dan

Go to a real jobers parts store and they will have it in drums! You can also get it at most oil distrubutors. Many companys that make residetial solvents also make comerical like Gunk,Union Carbide,Kano Lab's, KemCrest etc.....

Diesel smells way too much. I keep a pail of paint thinner around to wash stuff in. It's cheap and works well enough for me.

Parts washers sure are nice to have but you see more and more mechanics wearing gloves when they work. This makes me think that parts washers will start to disappear. Soaking yourself in solvent is hard on the skin and who knows what it will do to you over the long term.

Steve

Traditionally, Varsol has been the parts cleaning solvent of choice. Way less odor than kerosene. You can find it in stores like Advance Auto in 5 gallon buckets. At one time it was easy to find at service stations. You could buy it pumped by the gallon. But with the demise of the corner full service gas station it is takes a little more footwork to find.

I recommend varsol as well.

I like Frank's idea of putting a motorguard TP bypass filter on it. If you use it alot, you could really eliminate alot of crud with a good filter and cut down on complete fluid changes due to contamination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back