PB Blaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
How good is PB Blaster? How does it compare to WD-40 ect...?

Also have any of you used Seafoam Deep Creep?

i like p blaster.

it seems to go farther than wd-40.

i used it on rusted nuts and after a little cursing, they came off and they were very easy to get back on.

Seafoam Deep Creep is the aerosol version of the engine flush/cleaner that has been around for many years. The formulation is a blend of pale oil, naptha, and isopropyl alcohol, as frequently posted here.

From MSDS sheets:

WD-40 contains stoddard solvent, naptha and lite petroleum oil.

PB Blaster is naptha with a lesser amount of dipropylene glycol (solvent) and petroleum oil.

In my garage, PB Blaster is best used as a penetrating oil/rust remover, WD-40 as a cleaner/solvent/lubricator and Seafoam is used as a carbon deposit remover in lawn & garden equipment engines.

WD-40 is not a penatrating oil, although most people try and use it as such. Don't waste your time. It's useful as a water displacer/rust preventer and a cleaner. It does lubricate a little, but evaporates quickly. For lubrication use oil, for rust penatration use something like PB blaster or JB-80.

-T

I just changed the center section of my exhaust system last night, the section between the rear muffler and the catalytic converter. 1995 Saab 900S, ORIGINAL center piece (muffler had been replaced).

Extremely rusted bolts and flanges. Used Seafoam Deep Creep, left it on for about 1 hour while I cleaned the rear of the car, and the bolts ALMOST LEPT out of the flanges. The Deep Creep actually removed all of the rust from two of the 4 bolts, and made it possible for me to wipe the rust off of the flanges. If Penetro 90 is better than this stuff, it should be illegal!!!

BTW: IMHO, the Deep Creep seems to work better than PB Blaster when I've used it, although the Blaster seems to be pretty good.

I'm going to do a test of the PB Blaster and the Deep Creep to see which one cleans up the remaining rust on the old exhaust flanges and bolts. Just curious.

I have used PB blaster, and penetro 90. I have to give a slight edge to penetro 90 as far as a penetrating oil. Penetro 90 is a MUCH better lubricant though. I have never used the deep creep stuff......I may have to try it.
smile.gif

Try to find some stuff called "Gibbs".

I've tried PB Blaster, about 30 different kinds of penetrants (my pop is a mechanic and he's got a little of everything). I've never found anything I like more than Gibbs. I haven't found something I *can't* use it for.

In my opinion, PB Blaster is the best stuff made. I am a car collector and have several old cars that require maintenance and always spray the bolt/nuts down with PB the day before I start to help with the removal and saving the original bolt/nut.

I swear by the smell, especially when it gets hot, that PB Blaster has a little oil of wintergreen in it.

I've never found anything better than hitting a part with the torch quick and get it hot (but not glowing or anything). Then I carefully spray PB Blaster on a little at a time until the part cools enough that the PB Blaster does not burn off but instead stays wet. A couple more applications and put a wrench on it about 30-60 seconds after it cools to the point the Blaster will stay on it. There is something about the part cooling that sucks in the oil. The fastener always comes right off. Not much wait time (i.e. spray it down the day before you wrench). I can't believe the things I've gotten off with this, including wretched old brake bleeders that hadn't been opened in 13+ years in the winter salt just last weekend.

Does PB Blaster have any acid in it? I heard rumors that penetrants are formulated with mild acid, which means you would want to wash it off after using to prevent more corrosion.

Not a scientific test by any stretch, but I'm sold on PB Blaster because of it: I normally use WD-40 or Liquid Wrench on stuck fasteners. A year ago, I had to replace the cataltyic converter heat shield on my wife's '95 Civic. I used Liquid Wrench, and although I did eventually get all the fasteners off -- having snapped one bolt, however -- it took me the better part of an hour after spraying everything down and letting it sit for an hour or so. Last weekend, my sister's '95 Integra needed the same heat shield replaced. I was low on Liquid Wrench, and had since given up on WD-40 altogether, so I stopped by the auto parts place and picked up a can of PB Blaster. By all appearances, the bolts were just as rusted/frozen/corroded as the ones on my wife's car. I sprayed each of the four fasteners, went inside and poured myself a Coke, came back out, and I swear those things came off with a six-point socket like they'd been put on the day before. I'm sold.

Bought some PB a few months ago because of this thread ...it really came in handy last night ..I had to replace the half-shaft on my car...and breaking loose a hub-nut with 185000 miles on it is tough! I sprayed some on it ..couldn't get it to budge ..wait 15 minutes...nothing ..though I was nearly lifting the car off the ground 300-400lbs of torque applied!! sprayed again and tried an hour later ...success! 1/2 in drive ratchet and an 18 inch long pipe ...if it didn't work that time i was going to go buy a 6 foot long pipe !!!

I work with alot of farmers, escavators,etc. and in the midwest they swear by pb blaster. Though I think our penetro90 matches up better because of the lubrication properties it offers pb blaster sure seems to be on a par from a rustbuster standpoint.

was telling a mechanic at work about PB Blaster ..he said he already knew.
That the other night he replaced al frontend components on his 67 Ford F 150 ...the night before he soaked all bolts with PB Blaster ..when he went to losen them it wa just POP and one would come of ...great stuff

I like and use PB but wondered if any of you have used another penatrating oil not mentioned here, Kroil. I got a single can in with a bunch of used tools and it seems to work great, I hear it is popular with avaiation mechanics
dunno.gif

The heating and cooling thing with PB really does work wonders. I have at one point or another had the whole drivetrain out of my car(mostly modification) since it hit 100K and rebuilt the front suspension. Up here they use so much salt it makes the roads slick before it even snows
shocked.gif
and this car is driven year round, never found a bolt I couldn't loosen.

I have had success using GM's "Heat Valve Lubricant", available at GM dealers. I guess it was mainly designed for high heat situations, but I have used it as a penetrant on cold steel also.
Someone described it as "a waterborne graphite lubricant that will work in high temperature applications", but I don't know if that is correct. The smell is somewhat annoying, though.

do not get pb blaster on any clothes/fabric you want to keep. it leaves an orange spot that wont come out. i tracked some into the house on my shoe and got to buy the wife a new living room area rug. i sent it out to get pro cleaned and they asked what i got on it. $300 and my wallet still acnes 4 months later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back