True Story just happen yesterday...

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of our reps down in tampa had been talking to a potential client about the benefits of citrol 266 biodegradable cleaner. As time had gone on, the excuse was the mechanics like what we're using, works good, etc, etc...

Yesterday, one of the mechanics washed down some equipment with the current product, and had gotten some on his clothes.

Not thinking, after he'd done his job, he lit up a cancer stick, and in a split second, his polyester clothes flashed into a fire on him and
he went screaming closer to the cleaner, which ignited and blew the whole building. If there is a good thing that came out of this, it was that he was thrown out of the building with better than 80% burns and is not out of the woods as of yet.

Point is, there's more to just looking at price of products. The safety issue is one of the biggest issues needed to consider. In the case of the 266, the flash point is highly volatile in it's neat or shipping form, but when properly used in normal dilution rates with the water, it no longer is a fire hazard, and his over-sprayed clothes would never had been ignited.

Just thought this was an issue that one might consider when looking at chemicals and safety issues for themselves and others.

Yes, you are correct but unlike the "One Shot" stuff they were using that blew,

This product is mixed with water and that the flash point goes as high to none to boiling point at 1:15 dilution ration.

200 at 1:10
and so on. That's the big difference. Any and all products will have the same affect in the right situation.

Bob,

True, but it was most likely the vapors that ignited, not the actual fluid. Unfortunately the liquid molecules go through a phase change and into gas molecules that go poof very quickly. Once the vapors ignited, the flame front went back to the source, an emollient of various flammable fluids mixed with water.

I am sorry to see this happen to anyone, and have seen 3rd degree burns, but this may be a good reason for the guy to quit smoking as well.

That happens more often then most people think. It is easy to have some solvent left on a sleeve and have it ignite when you go to smoke. I no longer smoke !

Probably a little off point, but it reminds me of one of the reasons why I only ever wear cotton or natural fibre clothing...

Although it pays to check what the stitching is, as one shirt I once had got some solvent on it, it caught on fire, easily put out, but the flames hit the stitching on one arm and travelled up my arm like a lit fuse, the shirt was cotton, the stitching was synthetic...

Makes you wonder though why there are no health place safety regs covering clothing though in most places?

quote:

Originally posted by Bishop:
Probably a little off point, but it reminds me of one of the reasons why I only ever wear cotton or natural fibre clothing...

Although it pays to check what the stitching is, as one shirt I once had got some solvent on it, it caught on fire, easily put out, but the flames hit the stitching on one arm and travelled up my arm like a lit fuse, the shirt was cotton, the stitching was synthetic...

Makes you wonder though why there are no health place safety regs covering clothing though in most places?

I will back that up with ... I used to work at the Kiasier aluminum semelting plant here in town..they only allowed you to wear cotton, if a spark of molten aluminum hit you it would just slowly burn the area that it landed in ..ther was no fire ..and synthetics melt and stick to you !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back