Suggestions for CHEAP Car Wash Soap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to find a car wash soap for this Saturday's upcoming school car wash fundraiser. Budget is limited, here's what I have in mind:

Simple Green, 140oz, $8.99

Dawn Original Liquid Dishwashing Detergent 90oz, $6.99

If I use either one of these products, preferably the Dawn, at a 1oz to 2 gallon dosage, would this be sufficient for car washing? Budget is LIMITED.

TIA.

[ June 22, 2006, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: The Critic ]

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
I need to find a car wash soap for this Saturday's upcoming school car wash fundraiser. Budget is limited, here's what I have in mind:

Simple Green, 140oz, $8.99

2, Dawn Original Liquid Dishwashing Detergent 90oz, $6.99

If I use either one of these products, preferably the Dawn, at a 1oz to 2 gallon dosage, would this be sufficient for car washing? Budget is LIMITED.

TIA.

Both of those will strip wax off car. Things like that are why I don't ever go to amateur car washes.

You can get gallon jugs of brand name car wash at Costco for reasonable price and not screw up someones wax job to save 5 cents/wash.

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
Think I found my solution:

Link

Turtle Wax Car Wash Soap, $5.99/gal.

Great!
cheers.gif

I use whatever is cheapest at the parts store/aisle. As long as it's a car soap, I've used it except for the really expensive soaps. The wash and wax combos I didn't care for, however.

Here's your best cheap solution: go to your local "big box" auto supply (Autozone, etc.) or better yet, a locally owned mom & pop place and ask if they will donate a bottle if you put up a small sign acknowledging their contribution.

It's "win-win" for everyone (people who hate Auto-zone wouldn't go to a charity car wash anyway)!

And yes, stick with a car shampoo. Not dog shampoo, not baby shampoo, or Dawn "I can remove five day old baked beans from a plate" shampoo.

Good luck on your event.

[ June 22, 2006, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: doitmyself ]

Wonder if any BITOGer has a stash of that "Wax-as-U-dry" free wash from pepboys. It was a sidebar to the buy-3-get-3-free mobil 1 sale.

Myself, I run this gallon of wash and wax I got for $1 on clearance from wally world...

I just use some windshield washing fluid in warm water. The -30 stuff that I currently have on hand has methanol and a bit of soap.

I use the Turtle wax car soap...works great and lathers up quickly. Don't need to use a lot of it either. It will last you a long time.

WOW.... windshield washing fluid? Dawn? Simple Green?

Stick with a car wash soap, the products listed above are not good for you vehicle in anyway on any part!

You can find may inexpensive car wash soaps at Walmart that work well. USE a car wash soap nothing else, even more so if you are washing someone else's vehicle.

Good luck on the fundraiser.

Yep, if it's not your own vehicle then absolutely make certain it is an automotive-type soap.

FWIW, I've actually used Simple Green to REMOVE wax from my vehicles prior to re-wax/claybar/et cetera (not necessarily in that order!).

"Windshield Washer Fluid"? That would be like washing a Corvette with acetone!

The car wash went fine, though we made a bit less than I had hoped to. We washed between 10-15 cars, with the majority of them being < 3 years old.
shocked.gif

Good thing we didn't use Dawn or Simple Green.
nono.gif
We ended up using a Wash/Wax solution that worked wonders on neglected paint. One example of this was on a neglected, banged up 03 Accord. The exterior was quite dull looking prior to the wash (somewhat dirty as well), but after the wash, the paint appeared much richer. (and glossy) Surface was smooth.

Here were some of the cars we did:

03 Camry SE-V6
02 Lexus LX470
03 Accord
03 325i
06 New Beetle Convertable
05 Tundra

Grand Cherokee
Few 5th gen Accords
Older Taurus

And a few other that I can't remember. I left a bit early, but some said they were going to bring their 05 H2, but I'm not sure if she ever did.

All in all, I think we made between $100-$120...not bad for a Sat. morning.

I've used Simple Green fairly dilute with no ill effects but I guarantee that Dawn will strip wax off right down to paint. It is even recommended to use before applying Zaino for that very purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back