Just used liquid glass for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2000 silver Passat. I am really impressed. I washed the car throughly at the car wash. Then took it home and cleaned with Dawn and water. Then rinsed with plain water and and clayed. Then I did the first two steps of the McGuires process. I then rinsed with plain water and put on the Liquid Glass. Waited 15 minutes and took it off. My car wasn't super shiny but the paint looked different. The surface of the paint was the smoothest thing I have ever felt. The next day I rinsed my car off with plain water to do a second coat. The water beaded in an amazing fashing. Is two coats enough, would three or four be beter?

What is the maintenance procedure now. Do I just wash and add more coats?

Good job!!
worshippy.gif

Two coats of LG should be fine for a couple months, at least. To maintain, wash using a car shampoo (no more Dawn is needed) and reapply LG when you notice beads getting larger and less defined.

You can also use a quick detail spray after every wash (or whenever you want) to keep the paint smooth and glossy. Detail sprays don't last long but they're great for maintaining that "just waxed" look.

Now that you've done all the hard work, keeping the car looking sharp will be super easy. A quick wash and dry followed by some detail spray shouldn't take more than an hour and you'll be good to go.

Next time to do this kind of full detail is in the fall, just before it gets cold. Enjoy the shine!!
cool.gif

Should I put on three or 4 more more coats of LG? Today I was looking at my car again (I have to stop doing that) and I noticed that the car is very reflective, with allot of detail. You can see the leaves in a tree or birds flying, but the finish isn't deep. Is there someting I can put on the LG to give it that deep look? or just more coats of LG? or should I just get over it?

Protection or pretty?

If you want to add LG will other products be on the surface to interfere with LG adhering to the LG already on the vehicle?

Will you be able to remove all the other product used to add gloss in addition to what the LG profers?

I see nuthin' wrong with 3 or 4 coats of LG.

I also see nuthin' wrong with placing udder stuff atop the LG.

Perhaps a carnuba-type wax or polish to add gloss and to also act as an ablative material to assist in protecting the LG and making it last longer.

I wouldn't use a sealer-type product or a "wax" with chemicals that might remove some of the LG.

If you went with a mild wax or polish I believe the LG would not be affected and you would achieve more shine while also protecting the LG.

Personally, I only want protection and don't care ablout gloss, shine, etc. I just stick with LG, a couple coats when I do the job pre- and post-winter then a single additional coat every 2 to 3 months to maintain the protective coating.

Thine mileage may vary.

quote:

Should I put on three or 4 more more coats of LG? Today I was looking at my car again (I have to stop doing that) and I noticed that the car is very reflective, with allot of detail. You can see the leaves in a tree or birds flying, but the finish isn't deep. Is there someting I can put on the LG to give it that deep look? or just more coats of LG? or should I just get over it?

Well, you can't really layer LG. It has enough solvents and a very light abrasive in it, so additional applications will remove some/most of the previous coat. IOW, 2X applications is not 2X layers, more like 1.25X. The benefit of 2X applications is to even out the shine and protection. But it's up to you if you want to apply more LG.

Adding depth will be a challenge. Your car is silver and it's almost impossible to get any depth from that color. Metallic paint tends to refract light instead of reflect it, killing any visual perception of depth. A light color like silver doesn't help, either.

Using a polymer sealant on silver adds gloss and some "pop" to the paint. Some folks like to top a sealant with a good quality carnauba wax which adds a bit of richness to the look. If you have some wax on hand it might be worth a try, just to see if you like it. If you're in the market for a top notch wax, try S100 carnauba wax. It's available at your local Harley-Davidson dealer (I was at Killer Creek in Alpharetta over the weekend and they had S100 for $15.95). Meguiars, Mothers and 3M also make good pure waxes for under $20.

Personally, I think the added bling from LG and other sealants makes silver look as good as it can look, but that's just me.

Hope all this helps!!

Thanks. You guys have answered all my questions. I think I will stick with the plain old liquid glass. My car looks so great I can't believe. Thanks all you guys for your help.

Yeah Liquid Glass is some great stuff, I just put 2 coats of it on my (new to me)'95 Ford Explorer. If you want some more depth you could always put a caranuba wax over the LG to give it some more depth and shine. Thats what I did with my Explorer 2 coats of LG and then a top coat of Meguiars Deep Crystal Step #3 Caranuba Wax. It looked good with just the LG but it looks really good now.

I'd say you are giving Liquid Glass a lot of credit when the credit really belongs to the hard prep work you did.

I love Liquid Glass as much as the next person and it is what I use on my car but it won't give you great results without the proper prep work, so give yourself a lot credit.

I just recently began using a PC 7424 to apply my Liquid Glass. I think LG is doing themselves a big disservice by not recommending the use of the PC. The paint looks wet after polishing. I also have a silver car and it has never looked better.

My spring cleaning ends with 2 or 3 coats of LG and because my car is outside 24/7, I add a coat at least once a month. I probably don't need to do it that often, but I love the look of fresh coat of LG.

quote:

Originally posted by Cadude:

quote:

Originally posted by Colt:
I don't like using anything with silicone.

Why?

Edited to add:

Also, the link you have is to out of date information. Here is the link to their current formulation.

http://www.liquidglass.com/pdf/lg100.pdf

Interesting.
Seems the formula has been changed and I don't see any silicone.
If it's there with a chemical name,it's there with less content than before.
Seems the owner of LG didn't like the silicone either.
lol.gif

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Cadude:

quote:

I don't like using anything with silicone.

Why?

Edited to add:

Also, the link you have is to out of date information. Here is the link to their current formulation.

http://www.liquidglass.com/pdf/lg100.pdf

Interesting.
Seems the formula has been changed and I don't see any silicone.
If it's there with a chemical name,it's there with less content than before.
Seems the owner of LG didn't like the silicone either.
lol.gif

On one of the episodes of the Mother's Car Show last year, the segment with "Mr. Chemist" discussed the use of silicone in car care products. He said Mother's puts silicone in their carnauba wax. Further the bad reputation of silicone is old school thinking because any decent body shop knows how to prep a car before painting these days.

And, you might check this information out:

http://meguiars.com/faq/index.cfm?faqCat=General Questions&faqQuestionID=19&section=_19#_19

Basically, it seems to be getting a bad rap according to some experts.

As far as Liquid Glass goes, I believe 3 of the materials used in it (Amorphorus Silica, Aminoalkoxy Dimethyl Polysiloxane, and Polydimethyl Siloxane Diol) are forms of silicon. But, I'm not a chemist so I might be wrong about this (and a lot of things).

Keep in mind there are over 30,000 formulations of silicone, so not all of them could be bad for auto paint.

You'll notice that LG used polydimthylsiloxane (PDMS) as the polymer ingredient in their product. This is the same stuff used in water-based tire dressings and many other car care products. It's a water-soluble silicone oil and is plenty safe.

Yeah, they did change the product. I've heard it doesn't last as long as it used to but I haven't tested it to confirm. Looks like the reason is to reduce the amount of solvents in the product to make it compliant with new EPA regulations.

quote:

a water-soluble silicone oil and is plenty safe.

Yeah, they did change the product. I've heard it doesn't last as long as it used to but I haven't tested it to confirm. Looks like the reason is to reduce the amount of solvents in the product to make it compliant with new EPA regulations. [/QB]

The exact same has been said on forums about Klasse.
The EPA and solvent % has hurt durability.

AIO is *definitely* not the same product as before. I've been using it since the late 80s and it's changed. I know people who've been using AIO & SG for 10, 15 years or more and they're disappointed in the changes in AIO too.

All are old skool 1st gen sealants that are going to either disappear or be reformulated to comply with new EPA regs. Meguiars #20 is already gone.

quote:

Originally posted by bretfraz:

All are old skool 1st gen sealants that are going to either disappear or be reformulated to comply with new EPA regs. Meguiars #20 is already gone.

So true.
frown.gif

quote:

The exact same has been said on forums about Klasse.

What am I going to do once I run out of the little bit Klasse All In One and Klasse Sealant that I've got left? After 10 years I have only about 1/4 left in each bottle! That should last another 2 years, but what then?
shocked.gif

I believe silica is a cleaner that a bit abrasive depending on the amount.

Silicone is an oil that looks great after you wax.
Silicone oil produces the shine.
The oil attracrs dust.
One rain or wash and the silicone gone along with most of the shine.
The protection from the other ingredients remain for awhile depending on what you use.

Seems Meguiars uses silicone in many if not all their products along with many other companies.
Here's the %'s

Products that contain this ingredient
Brand Category Form Percent
The Right Stuff Gasket Maker-03/01/2001 Auto products aerosol 5-20
Trak Auto Tire Dressing Auto products liquid 10-30
Meguiars Deep Crystal Deep Gloss Polish Auto products liquid 1-5
Rain X Ultra Wax Liquid-09/06/2002 Auto products liquid STP Son of a Gun! Tire Glaze Auto products liquid 10-30
Meguiars Yellow Wax Auto products liquid 1-5
Gunk Silicone Spray Lubricant-11/01/2001 Auto products aerosol
Armor All Tire Foam Protectant-9/07/2000 Auto products aerosol 10-20
Dielectric Grease Auto products grease 75-85
Silicone Adhesive Sealant Clear Auto products aerosol 85-90
Simoniz Advanced Total Car Finish/Polish Auto products liquid
Armor All Flash Black Tire Care Auto products liquid 10-30
Black Magic Professional Protectant Auto products liquid
Armor All Low Gloss Protectant Auto products liquid 10-20
Meguiars Vinyl/Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner-10/01/2003 Auto products liquid 15-25
Westleys Concentrated Paste Auto Polish Auto products paste
Westleys Concentrate Paste Auto Polish Auto products liquid
Liquid Glass Ultra Auto Polish/Cleaner/Finish Auto products liquid 12
Snap Silicone Spray Auto products aerosol 1-5
Trak Protectant Auto products liquid 10-30
Black Magic Professional Protectant-10/31/2002 Auto products liquid 10-50
STP Son of a Gun Vinyl Protectant Auto products liquid 15-30
Meguiars Vinyl/Rubber Cleaner/Condition Auto products liquid 15-25
STP Son of A Gun! 1 Step Tire Protectant-03/12/1998 Auto products aerosol 20-25
Meguiars Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax Auto products liquid 1-5
Rain X The Invisible Windshield Wiper Auto products liquid Armor All Original Protectant Auto products liquid 15-25
The Right Stuff Gasket Maker Auto products aerosol 5-20
Armor All Car Wax 2 Qts. Auto products liquid 1-5
Armor All Protectant Wipes Auto products sheets 10-20
Armor All Ultra Shine Protectant Auto products liquid 25-35
Meguiars Cleaner Wax-05/19/2003 Auto products liquid 1-5
AutoFom Fomblin A Auto products liquid
Simoniz Super Blue Liquid Car Wax Auto products liquid 1-5
Armor All Car Wax, Paste Auto products paste STP Son of A Gun! 1 Step Tire Protectant-07/23/1999 Auto products aerosol 20-25
Classic Aerosol Wax Auto products aerosol 1-5
Westleys Concentrated Liquid Auto Polish Auto products liquid
Liquid Glass PreCleaner Auto products liquid 5

http://www.householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=chem&id=175

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back