Prestone Synthetic Wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I waxed my car using Prestone Synthetic Wax and I am impressed to say the least. This stuff is awesome! I have a 02 Rally Red Z28 with a black top. I have used Zaino's wax before and Prestone looks at least as good! The red and black colors look very glossy/glassy, very red/black, very "wet" looking and deeper than with any other wax I've ever used. It also hides swirls very good. One thing I noticed is that it didn't seem to "clean" the finish as good as other waxes. The finish still felt a bit rough afterwards, although it felt much better today after the wax was exposed to a lot of heat from the sun. I had also washed the car with a few ounces of Formula 88 degreaser....that may account for the finish feeling a bit rough too.

Needless to say, I am sold on this stuff, especially at $3.70 or so that I paid for a 20oz bottle.

Please keep in mind I am only reporting my results. I have nothing against all other waxes/polishes including Zaino. Please don't get stupid with me because I will rough you up twice as bad!
wink.gif

Thank you and hope you find the review helpful!

Rick

Many "waxes" do not smooth the finish as they do not have cleaning properties. You need to prepare clean/smooth the surfaces with clay and polishes before applying the final top coal of wax or sealant.

Russell,

I agree, but man do I hate doing the clay bar thing. It is painful and agoinazingly slow!
frown.gif
Maybe sometime in the future I will go ahead and do it.

Claying isn't too bad. Just do the horizontal surfaces. It doesn't take too long, and you'll be as smooth as a baby's bottom:)

Agonizingly slow? What? To me it is extremely quick!

I may be odd but I wax at least one panel on my car every time I wash it, which is weekly...once in a while 2 weeks. My Dad used to say that the shine is just a nice side benefit of waxing. Waxing is giving the Sun's UV rays something to eat. If you don't give it the wax, it'll eat your paint. Probably an oversimplification but I have never forgotten it.

I default to waxing my hood, trunk and roof most since they are most directly exposed to the sun. Probably do them 3 times for each time I do the sides. Clay maybe once per 2-3 months. My cars are smooth as glass and nice and shiny, just the way I like them.

You guys might be right. All I remember about claying is rubbing that stuff forever and my lower back, shoulder and hand in pain. Maybe I'm a wussie!
dunno.gif

You're not a wuss, but maybe you are trying too hard or maybe you wait too long between times you do it, so it is a bigger job than it has to be.

Use lots of the lubricant they give you (where have I heard that before?)and do a 2 ft x 2ft section at a time. Wipe off the wetness, pull and fold over the clay as you dirty it and move on. One panel at a time.

The byproducts of my waxing a single panel every time I wash is that I don't get sick of maintaining my car. Lcaying it is also much easier job when I do have to do it. I rarely do a wash, dry, full clay, full polish and full wax...that takes just too ****ed much time. I've got several cars but one of them, my Quadcab Dodge Ram 4x4 is black. Talk about a lot of work to do all that, I'd never finish. One panel at a time, easy does it.

Yeah.....that's my problem! I had always clayed the ENTIRE car after vaccumming, washing (including engine) and before waxing. No wonder I would be so tired at the end of the day!
sleeping.gif

Anyway....I'll take your recomendation and start doing one or two panels at a time.

Thanks!

Thanks for the tip. I picked up some Penzoil Synthetic Wax at WM for <$3.50. Thanks to this site, I'm now starting to stockpile oil, oil filters, and wax:)

quote:

Originally posted by toocrazy2yoo:
Is there some mechanical assist you caan use for this stuff? A wheel, or swab on the drill-end?

Something?

For what...clay? If so, Griot's Garage sells a bonnet pad which holds clay and allows you to clay your vehicle with a random orbital buffer. (Note: I've never used it, only seen it listed in their catalog.)

Claying should not be that much of a problem, use plenty of lube. It's all in the prep (SMR, Polishes, Glazes) then sealant and/or wax.

Claying using an orbital buffer? That sounds dangerous.

Clay is abrasive. Just like using too coarse a polish or rubbing too long in one place, clay on a buffer sounds like it will do more harm then good.

I have a Tacoma and it takes me 15 minutes to clay the thing. You don't have to rub hard, it's actually better if you don't. Use a ton of the lube and feel the spots you went over to make sure you didn't miss. Easiest way to keep your car or truck looking good.

I clay and apply Klasse (AIO and Glaze) twice a year. Wash and wax normally every two weeks.

Oh and the Prestone Wax is pretty good. I used to use it on my BMW. It lasts a long time. I think there are other things out there that shine better though. Meguiar's #26 and P21S being two that I like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back