Getting Superglue off of leather

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys on this board are generally very intelligent and knowledgeable on advanced things so I thought I would come here.

I have some superglue on my leather seat in an inconspicuous location from the previous owner. Im not exactly sure why it is there, but I want it off without destroying the leather.

It is about a 3 inch line. I got a lot off by shaving it with a scalpel. I did a great job but there is still some left. Rubbing alchohol doesnt work, acetone doesn't work. Is there anyway i can get this glue off?

I looked for this on the internet for a few minutes yesterday & what little I found recommended using acetone, or nail polish remover(which contains acetone!). Have you let the acetone soak onto the glue for awhile, maybe using a soaked Q-tip or something similar? That's my only idea.
dunno.gif

I've also seen some stuff at hardware stores that claims to dissolve superglue. You might look for that, but I think its main active ingredient is- you guessed it, acetone.

Good luck, & if you find something that works let us know.

actually the best glue remover for any glue on most any surface is... Bestine. It will get hot glue out of fabrics, anything. Im pretty sure it will do a good job on the superglue too. the stuff is pretty amazing.

IFacetone didnt take it off immediately, then disconinue trying it ot itll just burn a hole in the seat. I realize its "leather", but very rarely do they ever use leather on the entire seat.

Id try some WD-40, spray a little on there and wait as long as it takes.

Also, I usually see "Super Glue Remover" at the checkout lane in WalMart. If all else fail, you might try that...cant really cost that much.

When I got my fingers stuck together with super glue one time, the only thing that got them apart was starting fluid. Give that a shot.

Don't use any of those solvents, you will kill your leather. What we usually reccomend for superglue removal is water. A damp sponge or a Q tip or something that is moist will (in time) decompose the adhesive bonds. Superglue & water aren't compatible...

Try it.

Brian fix may be on the right track.

Read somewhere in the past that using an ice cube to cool the stuff then using a piece of plastic such as a credit card to force it off may work on SOME surfaces.

Since an ice cube won't hurt the leather and with care the plastic won't cause harm I'd give this method a try.

Don't use any solvents as they will dissolve the thin mylar coating which most upholstery leather has (and also make a clean or faded spot). Too late, right? And the reason for using ice is to solidify something gooey, which this isn't, right?
I suggest keeping the area well-oiled with leather conditioner so that the softer, oily leather might have a chance to eventually separate from the hardened glue. Rub it in often, like once a week or as soon as it looks dry again. But I expect the damage is already done, so you're lucky it's "in an inconspicuous location." Not that it matters really, but how are you sure it's superglue?

I ended up shaving it off by hand (scalpel), one advantage i had was the leather was flexible and the superglue cracked when i bent it. I cracked it into 100s of pieces and scraped em off. As long as i keep the leather conditioned, you can't tell (I do this anyways).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back