Liquid Glass Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far I've had the Liquid Glass on my car for about a month and half now. I washed the car today and it still shines, and looks like it has just been waxed. Should I put another coat of wax on before winter really sets in? Or should I be okay with the Liquid Glasson on there now for a few more months until it warms up again?

I'd slap another coat on if you have the chance. Always best to have as much protection on the paint as possible.

I originally put on 2 or 3 coats about a month and half ago, and I just put a new coat on last night. I think I'll get the car washed again on Saturday and put a new coat of wax on then, and after Saturday, not wax again until Febuary or March. Does this sound like a good plan? On the Liquid Glass website it says that a coat is good for 6 months to a year is this correct? Just in case your wondering, that car is an 88 Bronco II with 49k, and the paint seems to be in good to excellent shape for being 17 years old. Is there anyting else you recommend doing before it really gets cold?

I recommend you not again remind me that I am 17 years out of high school. LOL! WOW an '88 with 49K miles? That's incredible. A friend of mine had an '88 Bronco II our senior year--he was the only guy in school with a new car. My guess is that his old one's a beater by now. Have you owned yours since new?

Seriously, though, more than 6 months protection from most products, including Liquid Glass, is a bit of a stretch. A year is almost ludicrous. Perhaps it could happen under ideal conditions (garaged at home, covered parking at work, and minimal exposure to the elements while driving), but it's not something you should count on. Multiple layers are great, and I think you will be set for the winter with your current plan. When the first warm day of March comes, go ahead and renew it. I recommend a full paint cleaning, clay and wax quarterly (each season) with polishing (to remove scratches or swirls) added whenever necessary.

Other general recommendations are to clean out the undercarriage, wax the door jambs and anyplace else water might try to get in, check your tire pressure and do a rotation if one is due, test your anti-freeze, and do the normal underhood checks for hoses, belts, air filter, etc. Also top off your wiper fluid with some de-icer fluid.

I have not owned my Bronco II since new, it was given to me by my the sterotypical grandparents who only drove it once a week, a year and half ago when I turned 16, a pretty good deal I thought. It appears to have some kind of internal coolant leak, most likely the infamous 2.9L cracked head. I temporarily sealed it with GM seal leak tabs, but am planning to eventually replace the most likely cracked heads with new world heads. It also currently has Halvoline 10W-30 and 10oz LC in the crankcase.

The paint does have some swirl marks, it has a lot on the hood, they show up pretty well on the silver paint, the Liquid glass had helped make them a lot less noticable though. What is the best way to get rid of these, will a clay bar, and polish work? Should I use a cleaning wax?

IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/bigwillie78/DSC01650.jpg[/IMG]

-

That thing looks great!

As for your swirl marks, you should leave them be until you get some time to work on them in the Spring. You will need a polish to remove them. Polishing now would remove the LG layers that you have already put on. Sounds like the LG has filled and hidden them a bit, so just live with 'em til you can attack them correctly.

Don't bother buying a "cleaner wax," for two reasons:
1. A cleaner wax is not an abrasive polish and will not do anything to remove swirls or scratches; and
2. A dedicated paint cleaner (like Liquid Glass Pre-cleaner or Klasse All-In-One) will do a better job cleaning, and a dedicated sealant (like Liquid Glass or Klasse Sealant Glaze) will do a better job protecting and shining.

Definitely use clay, during your future full detailings (starting next Spring). Clay will not remove swirls, but will remove bonded contaminants from the paint, preparing it for polishing and giving it a smoother feel and look.

Removing swirls and scratches by polishing is a whole other topic. In retro parlance, "polishing" was often referred to as "compounding." Today, there are much better products than the old Turtle Wax compound. But you have a whole winter to learn about that stuff. Leave the swirls for now, be happy with the LG protection for the winter, and read up over at Autopia about polishes, machines and methods. That beauty is worth preserving!

Liquid Glass is pretty good stuff, and if you originally put 2-3 coats on (at least 24 hours apart), then you should get 2-3 months of good protection. Since you're already 6 weeks into it, I'd guestimate that you have 'til about New Years before you absolutely NEED a new coat (depending on weather, use and storage conditions).

Of course, an extra coat or two while it's still temperate would be a good idea. The more protection you have, the easier it will be to clean during the winter, and the longer you can go into the new year. Two additional coats, now, and you'd probably be good 'til early March or so--maybe a little longer.

I've probably put on my last coat of Liquid Glass until Spring. In Spring, I'll go over the car with Liquid Glass's Pre-Cleaner and spot clay. Then, I'll put on about 4 coats of Liquid Glass. Since my car lives outdoors, it'll get a refresher coat about once a month or two until the next winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back