Rain Dance or Turtle Wax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two in the shed but obviously don't want to waste my time. Rain Dance or Turtle Wax? Or just flip a coin?

IMO, flip a coin. Neither have Carnuba wax so they're not really good but both are decent waxes. I've used both in a former life, and I have no complaints with either one.

If you want a stunning look, consider Zaino. It's not waxed based, and gives some awesome results especially on darker cars. If you visit some of the sports car forums, you will find that it is raved about. I use it on my car, and the reflectivity is amazing.

You may also want to consider using a clay bar on the surface before applying any surface protectant. It removes embedded debris so that it doesn't get ground into the surface.

Surface prep is more important than the type of wax. Clay the finish and polish with a good polish to remove swirl marks/mild scrtches. Then use a good carnuba wax like s100 or p21s. Consider a synthetic like Mothers Reflections.

I suspect the Rain dance and turtle wax are sort of "old school" cleaner waxes that do not hold up very long under heat and weather. However any wax (either one) is better than no wax.

How old are they? More than a couple years old, I'd trash 'em, especially if they've froze over the winter. Many car waxes don't do well after freezing, even if they look OK.

If your paint is in really good shape and just needs some sprucing up, check out Meguiar's NXT, Mothers FX Synwax or Mothers carnauba cleaner wax. The first two offer more durability but don't polish/clean paint all that well. The Mothers carnauba is your more traditional car wax with a mild polishing agent that helps with somewhat neglected paint.

If the paint's looking a bit rough, check out NuFinish or Turtle Wax F21 (Finish 2001). I hate recommending these waxes because I think their cleaning agents are too aggressive (both chemical and abrasive), but for store bought products under $10, they work fine.

If you want a one-step cleaner wax and are not adverse to ordering online, check out Klasse All In One. An excellent light paint cleaner combined with an acrylic polymer means a nice polish with some pretty durable protection. For more durability and shine, top it with Klasse Sealant Glaze and you'll get close to 4-6 months of protection. You can find Klasse kits online for about $45.00.

Dare I declare that Liquid Glass causes my liver to quiver with unadulterated delight resulting in swooning when I observe how good the stuff is?

Nah.

Move along.................

The best clay I have used is clay magic. it is usually available at Autozone for under $20.

It comes with what looks like a detail spray to use for lubricating the clay. actually soapy water will work as well.

quote:

Originally posted by Winston:
What cleans better, NuFinish or Meguiars NXT?

NuFinish by a mile. NXT has very light cleaners in it, just enough to allow the product to adhere. NuFinish cleaners are both chemical (solvents) and mechanical (abrasives). They promote its cleaning power in their commercials.

Thanks Bret. I agree that NuFinish has very strong cleaners. I have not been able to find any pure cleaner that cleans better than NuFinish. If NuFinish cannot remove it you need a claybar. I am still intriqued by NXT.

What cleans better, NuFinish or Meguiars NXT?

Carnauba wax is a natural product. That is about the only good thing you can say about it.

25 years ago I swore by Rain Dance. About 10 years ago I started using NuFinish and found that it is much better than Rain Dance and it is an excellent cleaner as well. I am thinking of switching to Meguir's NXT, but at $15 is is pretty expensive.

Many people are not satisfied with the durability of NXT. Klasse AIO is a great cleaner and is not expensive since one bottle will last for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back