Turtle Wax F21 or Nu Finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to use a durable polish on my Ram and just wanted to see which product you guys recommend. I don't care which shines the most since it rains here so much. I have heard that Nu Finish is abrasive and that Turtle Wax F21 is the way to go. What do you guys think???

OTC brands, Mother's new Reflections Line or SynWax FX. Best stuff you can buy at the retail level IMO. I used to use Zaino but not anymore.

NuFinish is GARBAGE!!
thumbsdown.gif
banghead.gif

I disagree completely with johnicon. I've used Nu Finish on my Cherokee for 8 years and it looks brand new. I last applied it in September, 2004 and water still beads on the surface just like it did the week after I applied it. It's not abrasive, or expensive, and it lasts a hella long time.

Saturday..... scrubbed and scrubbed with Dawn detergent to remove all the wax/sealants. NuFinish had been applied before winter to protect from salt.

Carnubas atop the NuFinish to add shine and to act as an ablative for the NuFinish underneath.

Made it through 4 months of winter still shiny and beading the water.

While the winter winds blew around the shanty I spent many hours reading advice about wax-types to use.

Wanted paint protection foremost with shine a distant second. Also, wanted something that would last.

Came to the conclusion that much of the advice on the Web, especially that found at the detailing sites, was based upon faulty logic or some type of I-know-more-than-you belief coupled with some sort of bizarre attachment to a product based on emotional reasons.

Also, the "pro" detailers seem more concerned with shine without placing longevity of protection at the forefront.

Back to the white Silverado......

All the wax and sealant is off. Dried and dried then used a shop-vac set to anti-suck (blow mode) to get every driplet and droplet off the conveyance.

Then...... after shaking the sealant thoroughly then shaking it some more..... the first coat of Liquid Glass was applied.

Thin..... real thin coat. Rub it in then rub some more. Ensure every cubic sub-kilometer of surface is covered. Let dry then dry some more. The excess wiped off easily.

Then, motorvated out of the garage to let the sun beat down upon the freshly-applied sealant, as recommended by the manufacturer and those writing about the product and tossing their words upon the Web. The heat is supposed to help bond the sealant to the paint.

The next day, Sunday, threw a second coat on the critter. Unlike other waxes, sealants, etc, Liquid Glass is supposed to be conducive to multiple coats without prior coats being fully or partially removed. Seemed to be the case.

Also, while applying the first coat, I didn't notice any paint removal. No stains on the applicator or the towell used to remove the dried excess. Of course, the paint is less than a year old and has had no chance to oxidize.

Today, the rain came down. Water beaded excellently and when once underway the wind created by the vehicle moving pushed the beaded water off the vehicle. Excellent water beading properties. The shine is very good, as good as any other product tried: Mequirs NXT, NuFinish both paste and liquid, and various carnuba-type waxes applied atop the sealant-type products.

Time will indicate how long-lasting the Liquid Glass is. From what I read it is a long-lasting sealant. I plan on adding a coat every couple weeks until there is 5 or 6 coats. One poster about the product proclaimed his multiple coats assisted in reducing his rock chipping problem. Apparently the multiple Liquid Glass coats took the punishment while allowing the paint underneath to shrug off all but the larger rock impacts.

I hope Liquid Glass does that along with placing a barrier between paint/metal and salt in the winter.

With what I have seen so far, I am happy with the shine and the way I could add a second coat without affecting the first coat. I bought the stuff at AutoZone auto parts for $17. A little goes a long way. It appears one can will cover my long-bed Silverado around 7 or 8 times.

I've run across a couple of other comments about polishes being abrasive, but I'm guessing it's not going to be any worse than running your vehicle thru the typical car wash that uses recycled water with with dirt impregnated bushes. There's another thread on Nufinish, and although most seem to promote Zaino as the most durable finish some gentleman in Florida tested it against Nufinish on vehicles that weren't garaged and Nufinish was judged most durable. I'll be tryuing Nufinish next as I've been using Rain Dance and was wondering if something offered better 'beading time'.

I have used a few products including Nufinish and I can tell you that Klasse SG is about the best I have used. Easy on and off and will not stain plastics or rubber. It holds up about 4-6 months in Florida with washes every 2 weeks.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner,2.7 liter, 4 cylinder, Mobil1 5w30 ODO 15600
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner,3.0 liter,6 cylinder, Mobil1 10w30 ODO 95000
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

quote:

Originally posted by obbop:
One poster about the product proclaimed his multiple coats assisted in reducing his rock chipping problem. Apparently the multiple Liquid Glass coats took the punishment while allowing the paint underneath to shrug off all but the larger rock impacts.

Liquid Glass is a great sealant but to say it will cut down on rock chips is totally ridiculous.
Liquid Glass isn't tougher than paint.

That sounds like wax companies who say their wax stops damage from bird****.
Think about it...if certain acidic bird**** can etch paint,how can a wax be stronger than the paint?

I just got through liquid glassing my motorcyle and it look awsome! That can will last for ever.. I have done my bike 10 times my car 10 times and my wifes car 4 times and still have half a can left!

I DESPISE NuFinish. I am a sucker for almost any wax pitch and have a box of 20 or so bottles of once or twice used waxes/sealants. NuFinish is at the back of the box. Tried NXT, easy to use but didn't last well. Never tried Klasse or Blackfire. Current favorite for shine, durability and ease of use is Zaino.

Meguiar's Medallion is the best for your application. It has a mean shine and will last at least 6 months, generally more.

NuFinish is by far the longest lasting wax on the market.

my Impala sat outside for 9 months and it still beaded water like it was just applyed! After I saw that I decided to stick with NuFinish. It might no be the best shine but it stands allone as far as protection!

quote:

Originally posted by Colt:

quote:

One poster about the product proclaimed his multiple coats assisted in reducing his rock chipping problem. Apparently the multiple Liquid Glass coats took the punishment while allowing the paint underneath to shrug off all but the larger rock impacts.

Liquid Glass is a great sealant but to say it will cut down on rock chips is totally ridiculous.

"Totally ridiculous"???? Based upon subjective opinion? Other's opinion? Research?

So many fallacies in your rebuttal I don't know why I bother to reply!!!!!!

Is there NO possibility that a polymer finish can perform the way an ablative shield does on a spacecraft reentering the atmosphere?

Just curious.

Think about it...if certain acidic bird**** can etch paint,how can a wax be stronger than the paint?

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Colt:

quote:

"Totally ridiculous"???? Based upon subjective opinion? Other's opinion? Research?

So many fallacies in your rebuttal I don't know why I bother to reply!!!!!!

Is there NO possibility that a polymer finish can perform the way an ablative shield does on a spacecraft reentering the atmosphere?

Just curious.

""Totally ridiculous"???? Based upon subjective opinion? Other's opinion? Research?"

Just good ol' common sense!

One need not be a engineer or scientist to rebut a less rock chip LG claim.
It's a ridiculous statement.
The thickness of the LG application will do absolutely nothing in stopping rock chips.
Unless of course you think LG is stronger than the paint.
Put 2-3 coats on and in an accident your fenders,hood etc won't dent or ripple..
grin.gif

There are some spray on products like Armorcoat that will help with chips..
That product is a 10 dry mil spray on application.
A **** of alot thicker than LG.

[ April 21, 2005, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Colt ]

quote:

Originally posted by gizzsdad:
I am a sucker for almost any wax pitch and have a box of 20 or so bottles of once or twice used waxes/sealants. NuFinish is at the back of the box. Tried NXT, easy to use but didn't last well. Never tried Klasse or Blackfire. Current favorite for shine, durability and ease of use is Zaino.

Me too. I have found that Zaino is very easy to apply and has held up really great through the winter. A little bit goes a long way. I have tried so many different waxes/polishes. Each time that I try something new I really want it to be the best stuff ever but usually after a few weeks I see that it isn't. I was pleasantly suprised after trying Zaino.
cool.gif

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back