How to restore flat black METAL trim?HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I thought I finally found a product to restore tehe flat black metal trim along the vertical part of the window/door which is sort of grey/white now, BUT it seems that according to the feedback of people who used this "black again"(despite mfcr statement) and "back to black" from mothers, those products do NOT work on black METAL trim, only on plastic/vinyl/rubber!
(Tweeker: Thanks for the Autopia link)

So what choices do I have?
Does anybody know anything which will work on black-metal trim(matt)?

will 303-Aerospace work on such a surface?

Any help is very appreciated.
Thanks.

Did you try mild rubbing/polishing compound to remove possible oxidized paint?

What about masking it off and spraying it with a quality auto matt black paint(Dupli-color, etc.)?

just sand the surface and respray with flat black paint.

there is no miracle product.

unless you really do have oxidized paint.

Thanks, guys.

The area (originally matt black), is whitish gray...How do I tell if this is oxidized paint or not?
The whitish gray area is the area where I/previous owner usually touched the edge of the door/window to close it...looks more like the black faded; but I could be wrong...

anyway to tell oxidation from wear-off?

Thanks.

I did some more research, and found that the trim piece is "rubberized aluminum", so i'm going with the Einszett Tiefenpfleger, a high-end German product, which is very much like 303, but according to some experts on Autopia, even better, even less streaking, and a very nice satin-black finish, which is not glossy.( costs more, too, but Autopia is having a close-out sale for Einszett in January: they're replacing their premium line of Einszett with Sonus detailing products)

Or: I'll try the sample packs of 303 I have, and see if that works, but somehow I long for the Einszet...

If you guys read the reviews here:
http://autopia.org/review/censura.php?cmd=details&itemid=239
about Einszett, tell me what you think, too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back