Mr.Clean Autodry carwash substitute

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm only interested in no-spot drying. I don't mind washing my cars the old fashioned way, but I hate having to dry them with a towel and/or microfiber cloth to avoid water spots. Not only that, but drying a car with cloths is an increased chance for scratches and swirling that I'd like to avoid. I don't care about Mr. Clean's soaps. My question is, is there any other alternative to get a spot free dry, short of installing a water softener in my house? Or, is it worth using Mr. Clean just for the spot free drying feature? I guess what I'd like to see is a hose attachment one could use for a final spot free rinse without all that expense of a Mr. Clean system.

rainman, I know of a couple of devices that offer filtered and deionized water for rinsing but their initial cost is more than MCAD and the replacment filters are also pretty expensive. the MCAD is really a pretty inexpensive way to go for the guy who has 2 or 3 cars to wash.

You could also do a flood rinse and then blow your car dry with a leaf blower.

Thanks Alex and Cadude. You've talked me into getting one. Like I said, I don't care so much for the wash feature, but the water around here is so hard that even though I towel dry as carefully as possible, I can still see a slight smearing of hard water deposits on the windows when looking through them on a sunny day. Obviously, that stuff is on the paint as well. Besides, I figure that the less rubbing one does with a dry towel (however clean), the better. Rubbing with a towel can't help matters when it comes to swirl marks and fine scratches...

He's right, but its worth a shot. If you're happy enough with the results, it might be worth getting a bulk pack of filters at a wholesale retailer. Try the soap too, since they give you a bit to play around with in the kit. If it doesn't suit your fancy, you can use the MCAD for both unfiltered and filtered rinsing, and the ever-trusty bucket for soapy water.

The cost factor will vary with the type of water. If you have very hard water, the deionizer will be exhausted much sooner than if your water is relatively soft to begin with. I.E. YMWV.

I think that the P21s car wash (shampoo) might be the same stuff or very similar... even smells kind of the same! Of course it isnt necessrily cheaper... sometimes you have to pay for good chemistry.

JMH

Thanks for the info on the clear-rinse. Looks interesting but if you compare the cost per rinse for it compared to the MCAD, the MCAD is slightly cheaper as long as you use it only to rinse and don't use their soap which is what I've started doing. Of course this cost per rinse depends on each manufacturers claims being accurate and comparable - 15 per cartridge for the clear-rinse and 10 per cartridge for the MCAD.

Got my clear-rinse yesterday. Ordered it on Friday and got it on Monday. All I have to see is @#$%. Anyways I have to say it put MR Clean too shame :-( sorry Mr. Clean. The filter is huge and it supposed to last 15 washes you'd be lucky if Mr. Clean lasts you 5. I am so ordering more filters. Finally someone who makes a product that does what they says it should. Besides Mr Clean of course. I got the car wash down to $1.50ish clear rinse says $2.00. I will never use a Mr. Clean again. Everytime I used Mr. Clean just for a rinse with my own car wash it spotted everywhere. You have to use their expensive car wash to really get it do work right. Go get the www.clear-rinse.com filter and I believe you wll say you will never dry again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back