Salt neutralizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having decided to forego undercoating for various reasons I will use fresh clean water to rinse the undercarriage and body panels as often as I can once the salt is placed upon the roads.

Noted a mention of salt neutralizer than supposedly can be mixed with water (perhaps in a thingy of the type used to spray pesticides etc. using the garden hose) and used to soak the conveyance to inhibit or stop corrosion.

Common sense says to remove as much salt as possible using mechanical action such as the force of the water spray, washing with soap, etc.

But, for all those nooks and crannies where some salt may not be totally flushed away would some sort of neutralizer puddling there assist in stopping corrosion?

Any thoughts, ideas, guesses, hunches, and/or leads to a good product are not only encouraged but will be read with joyful glee and would result in, if I had one, furious tail wagging!!!!!!

Woof

Salt is an Alkyl Halide. Alkenes include metals such as Sodium, Calcium Potassium and Magnesium. Halides include elements such as Chlorine, Bromine, and Florine. When Alkenes are mixed with halides, the resulting compound is considered a salt (they have a salty taste).

If the metal is dry, no corrosion can occur but if there is a tiny amount of moisture, the chlorine is in its most concentrated state and does the most damage.

Salt can accelerate the oxidation of a metal surface, but it does its worst damage when it is in a crevice where it can set up an electrogalvanic cell. It actually creates an electric current that propogates the corrosion in the form of a pit. The pit grows like cancer and spreads.

You can't neutralize salt. It is easy to flush away because it is soluble in water. Covering it up is worse, because if any moisture gets in there, you've created a crevice - an ideal condition for the salt to attack.

I see a product named Salt-Away that claims to neutralize salt deposits on boats and cars. Anyone hear about it?

Salt Terminator is a very popular product with marine users. I use it everytime I run my PWC in salt water to flush the engine.

quote:

Originally posted by 9c1:
I see a product named Salt-Away that claims to neutralize salt deposits on boats and cars. Anyone hear about it?

I have used it with excellent results for about 5 years now. It does well in the cracks and crevices as I haven't seen any corrosion in these areas since using it. I mostly use it in the winter time to combat the salt spread on the roads but also use it after my yearly vacations to the Outer Banks. Check here for more info www.salt-away.com

I bought a small bottle of salt-x that I am going to do a little test on. I will let you know how it goes. Havent decided what the whole test will be. Probably a bottle of 15% salt solution with an iron bolt in it as a control and another jar of the same with the salt-x as a variable, I will probably also soak a painted part in both solutions and see if one sprays off with less residue than the other.

Keep you posted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back