mechanical buffer....what type????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading into mechanical buffering. Seems there are at least two types. What type do I need to get swirls and stains off the paint?

Other than a rotary, you can get very good results from a PC (Porter Cable Orbital)...the most popular model number is the 7336sp and 7424? Be sure to use quality compounds: 3M, Meguiar's...

This may sound stupid, but if they both "spin," what's the difference? I know you need to be careful about letting the buffer stay in one place too long, but other than that???

wow, here is a can of worms.

A standard buffer just spins, and orbital buffer, spins and osilates. Kind of like a dual action sander! Personally I wouldn`t own one! The best Buffer will be a variable speed, and the lightest one you can afford!

Buffing is almost an art. you need to know not only how to use the buffer, you need to know a vary large array of products and what they do! There are so many types of buffer pads that you can get lost in them! Go down to a detail shop and watch if they will let you.

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
This may sound stupid, but if they both "spin," what's the difference? I know you need to be careful about letting the buffer stay in one place too long, but other than that???

with a random orbital buffer, the buffing surface both rotates and translates. this keeps the pad from building too much heat in one area. i use one of these with decent results.

a rotary simply spins. if you hold it in one place it can burn a hole in your paint. these require a more professional touch to use successfully. if you are skilled you will get better results from a rotary.

Orbital=real fast hand motion
rotary=awesome polisher, but most dangerous method

I have both the pc 7424(orbital) and a makita 9207 rotary buffer. Ill honestly say youll use the 7424 most of the time bc most defects you see on paint aren't that bad, just be aware that it takes a lil more time to do it by orbital than rotary bc it doesn't generate heat. I have used the rotary on mostly gelcoats, but have done it on paint as well. The makita will give me a flawless finish easily, but you need to be experienced with the buffer first before you can use it, bc it can burn through paint if you sit on one area too long.

My advice, get a pc7424 to start out with. You cant hurt the paint with it unless you drop the machine on the paint.

Go with the Porter Cable orbital, you can't go wrong with one! They will give you much better results as compared to hand application. They are very easy to use, easy to control and they are variable speed. No you are not going to hurt your paint with a orbital buffer, anyone could use one. Yes you can get a "orbital buffer" from wal-mart for $20, but you get what you pay for, all they really do is make noise and shake your arms.

If one decided to try one of these methods.....guess.... would you still apply the wax by hand? Or use the machine? I know, stupid question.

You can use a buffer to apply wax, but not as well.

If you get a rotary, and havent used one before, get to know someone at your body shop...you'll need him. You can screw up a paint job in seconds with a rotary. All it takes is hitting a body seam, edge, or letting it sit in the same spot.

I have been using a high speed rotary for over 15 years and get a little ansy at times myself.

I have a Milwaukee and Makita high speed, but use my Porter Cable 7424 most of the time. It is a little spendy (around $100) but pretty good buffer. Make sure you use the correst size pads/backing. I think it comes with a counterweight for 5", so use 5" pads or get a 6" couter weight. I recommend getting a 6" CW, 6" VELCRO backing pad, and at least two cleaning and cutting pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back