Is liquid dishsoap really harmfull to the paint ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i heard that u can use simple green with a certain concentration to just remove wax, but barley damage paint..

i still like the soap idea to remove wax...but i think it fadded my pinstripes that arent protected by a clear coat or paint. hehe

Like eldawg4100 said, it's very useful for stripping off the wax. Before you do any major treatments, having a more harsh soap that gets rid of wax is a good thing.

I use dish soap as part of my once-a-year treatment. In spring, wash the car in Dawn to get all the wax off, then use paint treatment, then clay, then a sealer.

I certainly wouldn't use dish soap as a part of the regular wash/wax routine.

There is no moisture in cured finishes! If there was it would be peel and blister! Enough of that hogwash!

Clearcoats are protectants to shed dirt and contaminents off metal. They add depth to paint. You add waxes and protectants on top of clearcoat to remove surface tension and allow a slick barrier to repel contaminents. Applying this wax or polymer regularly will extend the life of the clearcoat and enable you to wash less frequently. If you do not add the waxes or polymers you will need to wash more frequent and this will in time abrade your clearcoat.

In short, just use a quality car shampoo and polish when necessary for long lasting finish.
cool.gif

Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 5300 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 82300 Miles.

Someone told me that some powdered laundry detergents have abrasives in them. Saw on a TV show that dish soap takes off the wax, but doesn't really hurt anything. Personally, I use the cheap car wash soap and try to get the stuff that has "wax" in it, so my lazy self can wash and wax at the same time. There's really not a lot of difference in the price.
cheers.gif
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back