Headlight lens hazing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost anyone who owns any newer model car with plastic headlight lenses (especially if you live in the South) is well aware that over time the plastic oxidizes from UV exposure. I've seen some lenses that were so yellowed over I don't know how the person could see to drive at night.

When I had my $6600.00 encounter with the concrete divider on the Interstate last winter (due to ice), one of the items that got replaced on my 300M was the right headlight assembly. With a new headlight on one side of the car, it was easy to see that the other light had started oxidizing. This summer, I could actually see the original light getting worse. I did not want the light to reach the point where its performance was going to be compromised, but I didn't want to fork out 400 bucks for a new light, either.

I did a lot of research on the Internet trying to find the "cure" for this problem. What I found was that this oxidation can indeed be polished out using a multistep process involving wet sanding, plastic polish, and wax. Here's the process:

You have to use one of those small palm-held orbital sanders. If you try to do this by hand, you'll probably die of old age before you see any results. Start with 1000 grit (and sand it WET), then go to 1500, then 2000. Make sure to keep the paper and the lens WET and change the paper when it gets loaded with the plastic residue from sanding. Also, you've got to keep the sander moving across the lens at all times. By the time you get through with the 2000 grit paper, the light will be very smooth, but you've got to polish it to get it crystal clear. I used ordinary rubbing compound. Cover the lens thoroughly and then use the orbital sander again over a clean cloth. The final polishing is done with plastic polish. Figure on spending about an hour per headlight to do the job right.

Just keep in mind that this hazing is caused by oxidation from UV rays, so to prevent the hazing from coming back, you need to keep the headlight lenses WAXED with a good quality wax that has a UV sunscreen in it.

As you can see in the pic below, the original headlight now has pretty much the optical clarity of the new one. The only visible difference is in the grey area inside the light, which is somewhat faded in the original light, whereas it's a nice deep charcoal in the new light.

-

Plastic costs the company less and you get to buy it twice ,As consumers we are getting screwed but we're still smiling.

Alot of guys use it on the taillight lens on classic cars, as the replacements are either non existant, or cost upwards of a grand.

[ August 31, 2003, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: sbc350gearhead ]

im not sure about model cars, but the cars i get when i detail come in with dulled plastic lights...they leave with crystal clean lights...i use a claybar.

I did the same thing to the plastic lens that covers my cluster. The lens was from 1986b and ws pretty crazed and yello. When I was done I just put a coat of eax on it and it is as good as new.

Meguiars mag wheel polish, you can even do it by hand, and you'll see results like you won't believe.
cheers.gif
Goodluck.

I know it sucks if you detail your car to have unclear lights... I'm the same way, but mine haven't had any issues yet.

tell me about mag wheel polish, i thought its only for metal?

if u have a glass lens..u can clean it with glass abrasive that takes off water spots on windows...just a tip.

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:
Meguiars mag wheel polish, you can even do it by hand, and you'll see results like you won't believe.
cheers.gif
Goodluck.

It's easy to see you've never tried to polish out the type yellow haze oxidation I'm talking about. Mag wheel polish is considerably less abrasive than 3M rubbing compound, and that alone didn't even make a dint in the stuff on my headlights. It took the 1000 grit sandpaper using an orbital sander to break through and remove this stuff, and then 1500, and 2000 to get the surface smooth. The rubbing compound and finally plastic polish is what brought the lens back to optical clarity once the oxidation was removed by sanding.

BlueMagic plastic polish...... heard of it? pepboys got it...... guys this product rules. I wish i has pictures of my head lights before and after application, but what i can describe is my dad used to complaint that lights on his car just lits up but thats about it. He wasn't able to see the road in night drive. Very very Hazy.... I have tried to buff it up and scrub it and things like that... none worked finally got my hands on this product before i go buy new head lights from him.... to my surprise this **** thing worked. head lights are sparkling like new glass and not just plastic. seems like i have installed a set of new head lights. So What i would say before you go buy a set of new nothing wrong spending $3.99 and give it a shot.

Well, you all had me curious so I went out to my little test bomb on wheels and thought I'd try some of my stuff(schaeffers).

First I took our citrol cleaner, with a standard rag, sprayed and cleaned in just a couple of minutes. Then I took the penetro 90 we use for just about everything and here is what I got.

This pic shows right half done as described above.
Left half untouched.
 -

Now I finished off the left side same method.
 -

Guess all I need now is the uv wax/polish. What do you think?

[ October 02, 2003, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

I honestly had no idea how it would work, but I too agree, seems to work quite well. Might not be as good as the above, but I'm one of those that if the dirt is taken off the car, it'd fall apart.
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
I honestly had no idea how it would work, but I too agree, seems to work quite well. Might not be as good as the above, but I'm one of those that if the dirt is taken off the car, it'd fall apart.
lol.gif

Bob good test and results, This is almost the results what I got from BlueMagic Plastic polish. But the condition on my lights were way too worst than what your test showed. I tried to replicate that a day back what i did was put on a very very thin layer of wex on head lights and drive around about 30 mins. lets say about 15 miles in town. I was close but not quite the condition that i had before. (Just to describe my lens condition before cleaning)

][/QUOTE]Bob good test and results, This is almost the results what I got from BlueMagic Plastic polish[/QB][/QUOTE]
I could only remember Blue Magic and came home with Blue Magic metal polish.Guess I'm wrong huh?
pat.gif

RichR

quote:

Originally posted by car_junkie_moron:
BlueMagic plastic polish...... heard of it?

This is what I tried on my light before resorting to wet sanding with an orbital sander. This stuff didn't make a dent in the oxidation on my light, and I had what I consider a "minor" case. I've seen Chrysler and Ford lenses that were a lot worse than mine was.

If BlueMagic brought your lights back to optical clarity, consider yourself lucky that you didn't have to resort to what I had to do.

if ur lights are glass u can use a glass water spot remover and water stain remover. it will clean it just like if its a windsheild. if its plastic and just hazed..u can get rid of it though claybar.

those polishes though, they polish it but they dont get RID of all of the crap thats really causing the problem...so thats why try to get down deep and clean up the mess and then polish for extra nice results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back