Auto Windshield Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
After many years of frustration trying to clean off my windshield on vehicles, and trying to get the road grime off, I found a gent and his wife who gave me their formula for their cleaner. They used to be truck drivers and traveled the country and sold a windshield cleaner in a 4 ounce plastic dispenser. Both are now retired, and when I asked what it contained, I was floored. It has 3 parts baking soda and 1 part creme of tartar, Period. So you can mix up a small batch and try it and carry it in a plastic bag. I wet the windshield, spread it on and use my hand to wipe the bugs ect off. In the rain, I just stop under an overpass, sprinkle some on and drive out in the rain and use the wipers. Works great for me. Does not scratch, and is biodegradable.

I just use Rain-X.

smile.gif

Oz

Bon-Ami works well. In fact, one of the Big 3(GM?) offers it(or used to) repackaged as a windshield cleaner.

Hmm, baking soda & creme of tartar, huh? If I could just find a small shaker bottle. Watch out, spice cabinet!
grin.gif

Be careful with the Bon-Ami. There are two types- One will scratch the glass. I don't know off hand which is which. I have the Gold and Red can- I don't believe this is the right stuff??

Try using half water and half vinegar and wiping with a crumpled newspaper. Works great and is cheap. Vinegar is a great cleaner to cut through grime and bug guts. I've used this for years on all my vehicles with great success.

Is this formula 3 parts baking SODA (liquid) or baking POWDER?
confused.gif
If it's baking powder, I'd say this sounds like a homemade glass polish. That's not to say it doesn't work or is bad, but I wouldn't use such a thing too often.

Just coat it with Rain-X/Aquapel and use a good glass cleaner to get the garbage off.

Even though this thread is 1 year old, I'll suggest this site for some interesting glass cleaner tests: www.gurureports.com It's not that expensive, downloadable, and well worth it for reading value.

I have been using Invisible glass lately. cleaning it off with paper after spray. This product rules but you will need lots of paper pieces. Takes off grimes and everything else.

I like Stoner's Invisible Glass and it is made locally. I read on another site that Bar Keepers Friend worked well on glass.

Ive used Stoners and Rain X in the past.Just recently I tried some Castrol Super Clean AccuVision and this stuff really works!Its just like RainX but cheaper in price.I bought the smallest size bottle to experiment with.I'll keep ya'll posted.So far so good!
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BlueOvalFitter:
Just recently I tried some Castrol Super Clean AccuVision and this stuff really works!

Rainx wax tends to last 10x longer in my experience with both; but the castrol is in fact easy to put on, and lasts a reasonable amount of time.

the detailers at my work always use brillo pads and scotch brite? pads with window cleaner. no, it doesnt scratch one bit... they do it to every new car sold (500 a month) and not 1 scratch. I have tried it on cars with heavy bugs, etc. and works effortlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back