Can't find 10W non detergent - Is Mobil 1 10W-30 ok for compressor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by davefr:
I picked up a really old Devibis compressor. The nameplate says to use 10W oil below 100 degrees.

10W oil is impossible to find and generic compressor oil never states the viscosity on the label. The crankcase capacity is only about 4-6 oz. so I'm not about to special order anything.

I've decided to use Mobil 1 10W-30. Will this cause any issues?

Does it say detergent or non-detergent or give a spec? Compressors usually don't have any oil filtration, so you want any crud that gets in the oil to settle out. Detergent oils help keep crud suspended so a filter can catch it, not good for machine tools, and a lot of other non-IC engine uses that call for non-detergent oil.

If I had tro use somethoing from a car parts store, my first choice would be power steering fluid. It's usually pretty close to a 10w and has to deal with many of the same problems as an air comressor, except for the moisture.

quote:

I picked up a really old Devibis compressor. The nameplate says to use 10W oil below 100 degrees.

10W oil is impossible to find and generic compressor oil never states the viscosity on the label. The crankcase capacity is only about 4-6 oz. so I'm not about to special order anything.

You can take a look at a variety of mineral and synthetic compressor oils for centrifugal, axial flow, reciprocating, and rotary screw compressors at:

http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/Lubes/Product_Information/Compressor_Oils_Collection.asp

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/Product_Information/Compressor_Oils_Collection.asp

the only problem i can see using the mobil1 is it might leak. I would try the mobil1 if you have a quart laying around and just keep an eye on the level.

JH

You want to use a 10 - 20 wt non-detergent compressor oil. Compressor oils don't absorb moisture.

quote:

The nameplate says to use 10W oil below 100 degrees.

I think when they say 10w oil, they mean SAE 10 not winter weight 10 of a 10w-x oil.
The mobil 10w-30 is a 30 weight, so you would have a heavier oil in there. I doubt it'll hurt or damage anything. Air tool oil might be acceptable, I know that's a a very light weight non-detergent oil but get some other opinions first. Only $5-10 or so from any hardware store for 12oz or quart bottle of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back