5w50 synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new compressor from Hitachi. It is a two horsepower electric and calls for 5w50 synthetic for cold areas or 10w40 dino for warm climates.

Would a straight weight oil designed for compressors only be a better choice and if so which type.

I currently use 10w30 and 15w40 Amsoil and could use it but I would prefer to use what will keep it the cleanest and most trouble-free.

I'd run the Amsoil synthetic compressor oil, which is a straight 40wt, non-detergent formulation. Since you don't have combustion byproducts, there is no need for all that detergent. The Amsoil compressor oil works extremely well in these small shop compressors. You can run 8000-10,000 hour change intervals in the big commercial jobs with this stuff.

Tooslick

Assuming it's a reciprical (piston) compressor, compressing air, They are apparently looking to get a more efficient startup and better lubrication at high temp. Normally these recommend an ISO 100 or a nondetergent SAE 30.
I'm using ISO 100 in three small compressors (actually 2 of them are 3 phase). The two in the colder climate (30's and 40's F in the morning, 90's F or higher in the afternoon) give off a pretty good kick when they start up in the morning for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back