03 6.0 PSD 10K mile sample your thoughts please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running a Oil Guard bypass and now have almost 10K on this oil.

Amsoil 15w 40 syn
I pull 10,000 pounds every day in small city conditions and a 10,000 pound travel trailer on the weekends. This is the first sample I have taken, can you guys please share your thoughts on this and should I keep running it or change it?
There were alot of other symbols that read 0 or n/a so I left them out.
Oil Guard said all wear rates were normal for this engine.

VISC100 15.5
SOOT .06
FUEL 0
OXID 25.1
TBN 8.8
FE 27
PB 9
CU 5
SN 4
AL 7
SI 8
NA 2
MO 2
K 5

Wear rates are a bit higher than I'm used to seeing, most likely from the heavy continous towing.

The oil is in good shape (high TBN/low soot) and could go at least another 5k miles. I'm really surprised it hasn't sheared, since the 6.0L is known for this.

TS

I am looking into the visc as we speak, it appears that they may have made a mistake.
Amsoil comes out of the bottle @ 14.4.
My oil got thicker? I dont think so. I will call Oil Guard and see what gives.

Carssuck,

Hey I commented on your post on TDG.com.....the viscosity is incorrect. I'd recommend resampling and sending it to Blackstone or Oil Analyzers, Inc.

looks like fresh filter's with fresh makeup oil will replenish the sump oil and you will be able to keep using your truck like it was made for, you can save your extra money for brakes.
congrats

Too Slick,
The truck now has 40,000 miles on it and possibly 38,000 are towing the trailers I stated above, it's not uncommon to have a few thousand pounds of plaster waiste or other junk in the bed at any given time either.

I started pulling with 20 miles on the clock and left the factory oil in for 5,000 then switched to Delvac 1 synthetic and maintained a 5,000 OCI.
The bypass filter has been on for 10,000 miles and thats when I put the Amsoil in.
My next oil change will be with Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40. I don't like how the truck runs when cold with Amsoil.

Carssuck,

Another option for cold weather would be the Amsoil 10w-30 or Series 3000, 5w-30. I'd probably choose the latter in this case. I believe that Ford actually specs a 30wt for the newer 6.0L engines.

TS

I spoke with a guy whom seemed very knowledgeable from the company who works with Oil Guard on oil testing and he explained why my vis went up instead of shearing down and reassured me it was not a mistake. I could try to repeat what he said but I am sure to screw it up. LOL
He did however reccommend that I change my oil because of the high oxidation number.

This guy was nice enough to share a sheet from Ford on acceptable numbers for analisis. Now I have something to compare my tests to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back