'04 F250 6.0 PSD 7433 on sample w/Schaeffer's 9000 5W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Analysis done by Oil Analyzers Inc. Oil is Schaeffer's 9000 5W-40. Oil not changed, just sampled. Wix oil filter, Amsoil BMK-11 bypass.

Iron 15
Chromium 1
Lead 14
Copper 11
Tin 2
Aluminum 4
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 8
Boron 4
Sodium 0
Magnesium 43
Calcium 2748
Barium 2
Phosphorus 1295
Zinc 1591
Molybdenum 310
Titanium 0
Vanadium 0
Potassium 0

Fuel: 1.0%
Visc 100: 10.67cSt
Water: 0
Soot/Solids: 0.01
Coolant 0
Nitr: N/A
Oxid: N/A
TBN: 7.66

Looks like fuel dilution has really thinned out the oil. It's now a low 30wt oil.

quote:

Originally posted by Go_Hogs_Go:

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Looks like fuel dilution has really thinned out the oil. It's now a low 30wt oil.

I'm seriously contemplating trying the Amsoil 20W-50 High Performance Oil due to my fuel dilution and the shearing problems that the 6.0 PSD are known for. The 20W-50 is CI-4+ rated, so I might give it a shot.

The other nice thing about using the Amsoil is that your oil analysis for OAI will show nitr,oxid, and give you a better picture of the oil condition. It seems a little one sided to only offer this service to Amsoil users, but its America....choice is freedom.

The 1% diesel fuel shouldn't thin out the oil that much. I'd contribute the bulk of this viscosity loss and high bearing wear to shearing. The 5w-40 oils - particularly the Group III stuff - will tend to shear in this engine.

I'd try the Amsoil 15w-40/AME before you go to their 20w-50. It's really a better HD diesel oil for a newer engine that specs 10w-30.

TS

Driving habits usually consist of 70% percent highway driving, and 30% in town (guesstimate).

It took about two months to put 7500 on this sample.

quote:

The 5w-40 oils - particularly the Group III stuff - will tend to shear in this engine.

If you're going to use a 5w-40, I'd use the RL 5w-40 followed by the M1 SUV 5w-40. Those two are more shear stable.

I wouldn't rush to blame the oil based on one UOA though. Delvac 15w-40, M1 15w-50 would all be more shear stable as well. Amsoil's 20w-50 S2k is very shear stable also. Also contains a good deal of esters.

I see a lot of problems with fuel dilution in 6.0/VT365's at work, how much fuel do you think the bypass will remove? The Amsoil 20w50 would certainly help the viscosity some, might be worth an OCI to see if the wear metals come down any.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with just the shearing, IH allows 10w30 in cold to moderate climates. The wear metals aren't out of line either. Weren't you running a MG on this truck before with slightly better wear metals at 14K OCI? That oil sheared some too. Could the Amsoil bypass be allowing slightly more particles to stay in the oil?

quote:

Originally posted by 1040 WreckerMan:
I see a lot of problems with fuel dilution in 6.0/VT365's at work, how much fuel do you think the bypass will remove? The Amsoil 20w50 would certainly help the viscosity some, might be worth an OCI to see if the wear metals come down any.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with just the shearing, IH allows 10w30 in cold to moderate climates. The wear metals aren't out of line either. Weren't you running a MG on this truck before with slightly better wear metals at 14K OCI? That oil sheared some too. Could the Amsoil bypass be allowing slightly more particles to stay in the oil?

Actually, my Fe wear has remained constant throughout the life of my vehicle. It's always been in the low-mid teens.

The Motor Guard and Amsoil bypass filters have both shown the same wear. When my fuel dilution started to go up, so did the Pb wear (that happened with the MG and the Amsoil bypass).

I'm starting to think with the fuel contamination issue that I'm going to start running Delo 400 15W-40 w/a bypass but change out oil every 5000 miles
dunno.gif

Thing is, it's not the shearing that's causing the wear....it's the fuel (read further). The only reason more fuel isn't showing in my UOA is because I drive on long stretches pretty frequently and burn out what diesel is in the oil (my guess). Maybe the fuel is doing a little bearing cleaning and showing 'false' lead wear?

[ August 24, 2006, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Go_Hogs_Go ]

I would tend to agree with your assessment, but I thought I'd try and rule out some of the other variables. Unless I'm thinking of something else, didn't you have a 14K UOA on this same oil with about the same wear metals you have now at half that mileage?

I know some of the VT365's we have regularly show 2.5-3% or more in some cases. The PowerStrokes, which don't idle as much as the VT365's (same engine), still typically have 1.5% or more. I'd have to check, but I think we are on our fourth injector revision and still can't get the fuel down!

If the fuel dilution is significantly higher for a given time it may be thinning the oil enough to cause slightly higher bearing wear. When you cook the fuel out, the wear is coming back to normal levels?

I think I would use the Delo and change at 5-7.5K miles and see if you can reduce the fuel dilution. Have you had Ford run any diagnostics on the injectors?

Before I go the Delo route I'm going to put Red Line 15W-40 back in my truck. The ONLY oil that I've seen withstand the HEUI setup on a 6.0 is Red Line.

Here is a past UOA with Red Line in my truck: Red Line

As you can tell, I REALLY want extended OCI's. I put 3500-4000 miles per month on my truck and having to change every 5K doesn't interest me at all.

[ August 25, 2006, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Go_Hogs_Go ]

All your previous UOA's showed low Cu and Pb levels and the last one with Redline showed < 0.5% fuel dilution.

Why with this many miles are you suddenly having fuel dilution issues? Did you seriously mod this engine????

TS

No mods at all. Don't know why? I don't know that 1.0 - 1.5% fuel is that bad, is it
dunno.gif

[ August 26, 2006, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Go_Hogs_Go ]

I'd look into paying Dyson Analysis their $30 fee to have this report professionally interpreted.

Hog man:

I have a '05 PSD and use 9000 oil too. I don't have the issue with fuel in the oil.

As such, it has to be something else.

My Powerstroke 6.0 just blew a turbo at 18,000 miles...I had been running Schaefers 5w40 and planned to do a UOA but the shop that fixed the turbo under warranty changed the oil out..I am sure it was not an oil related failure as the shop told me they are seeing these issues on many other 6.0's...So far, my new F350 is not really doing too well...I have had some electrical issues as well...I am wondering if the fuel dilution problems were fixed after my new turbo so I will do a UOA after 5000 miles on whatever the dealer refilled it with...

Quote:

No mods at all. Don't know why? I don't know that 1.0 - 1.5% fuel is that bad, is it
dunno.gif

[ August 26, 2006, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Go_Hogs_Go ]

so what ever happened? any updates?
hornets_nest.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back