Fuel A
Water % vol. Glycol N
Visc @ 100c 13.6
Soot 0.1
Oxidation 15.00
Nitration 10.00
TBN 8.85

My comments:

Delvac seems to be doing quite well, especially considering the mileage on this sample. Fe numbers are even lower than with the last 505.01 sample- 25 vs. 31, which was also very good, and TBN is significantly higher too- 8.85 vs. 6.62
A 15k OCI is probably quite realistic with continued sampling.

That's fantastic. The only thing I'd do is follow up with a thorough visual inspection of the lobes to ensure you're not getting any particles too large to be detected by this type of analysis.

This is a nice analysis. I bet the chatter is unbearable over at the 'club'.

quote:

Originally posted by FowVay:

This is a nice analysis. I bet the chatter is unbearable over at the 'club'.

500 posts and counting...., make sure you don't click on the link below with a full tummy.
lol.gif

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=129373&page=5

Somewhere on the internet about 6 months ago I saw the requirements that the 505.01 spec is supposed to cover. (I think it was a Powerpoint Presentation) Low valvetrain wear was just one of them. It may be the other requirements that makes this oil not ideal for your engine and you wouldn't be able to know this from a UOA. I think it's worth looking into for your sake.

grin.gif
I feel bad for any lack of sleep my post may have caused. I just looked and found the document on 505.01 oils that I was referring to. It's by Motul. I don't have the weblink that I got it from. The good news is that the low sulfur, ash, and phosphorus requirement is only for the keeping the 3-way catalyst healthy. I thought I remembered it also having to do with keeping the injection and valvetrain system free of deposits, but I was wrong. So accept my apologies and my revised statement is: all seems well with Delvac 1 in this engine except possibly for its catalyst lifespan.

JAG - I was needling a4tdi for breaking the VW vows, didn't mean to offend your position.
Some of us have been scratching our heads with the 505.01 edict and the Delvac1 history.
Jury is out and I for one thank you for your knowledge, I didn't mean to insult. Those other 500 posters well... I dunno.

Just a note to inform TDI PD owners that 2 of the cam lobes can be viewed through the oil filler. Also 1 PD roller can be viewed, but not it's respective cam lobe.

There is a plastic part that would at first glance appear to block the view of anything. But this is not the case. You can look to either side of this plastic and view the cam lobes that actuate the valves.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back