My first UOA =I'm no expert= opinions please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my first analysis back, but I'm a bit of a dummy as to how to really read it. I have been lurking here for a while, I have learned some, and I am very impressed with the knowledge some of you have about oil! Holy rocket scientists batman!

Anyway, my Dodge/Cummins is my baby - my pride and joy. We use it to tow about 8500# worth of RV in the summer, and I use it as a dialy driver the rest of the year. I have some mild power adders installed, but I didn't when this oil was in it.

The oil was Canadian Tire store brand 15w40 which I have heard through the rumor mill is Shell Rotella T 15w40??. The truck has 80,000 Km or 50,000 miles on it and is a 2002 4x4 with an auto trans. This oil had 6500 Km on it - not a lot I know, but I changed over to Coop D-Mo 0w40 Synthetic when the cold weather hit.

I would really appreciate any/all input from you!

Here's the goods:

Al - 2
Chromium - 1
Iron - 8
Copper - 1
Lead - 1
Tin - 0
Moly - 2
Nickel - 0
Maganese - 0
Silver - 0
Titanium - 0
Potassium - 1
Boron - 285
Silicon - 4
Sodium - 0
Calcium - 2844
Magnesium - 256
Phosphorous - 1116
Zinc - 1316
Barium - 0

Sub Viscosity@210*F - 75.8 Flashpoint - 420
Fuel % - Antifreeze - 0
H2O - 0
Insolubles % - 0.3

Help?
dunno.gif

The UOA looks good...forget the idea that it's repackaged Shell Rotella-T because it is not. It is possible that it could be blended by shell though. Look at the amount of Boron...Shell Rotella doesn't use Boron as part of it's additive pack.

Hammer

Looks very good to me.. especially the Iron.. Very, Very low.

I would be happy to have numbers returned like that.. Wouldn't bother me a bit to run a longer interval.

I had it analyzed due to people scaring me as I use a K&N filter. I have done some reading here, and on other sites, and I see they are quite an item for discussion. From what I have read, the silicon would be the main indicator of how good the filtering is. Is that the case, because mine came back at 50% of the "universal average" of 8 ppm.

Thank you to Hammer, wyandot, and md_lucky_13 for the knowledge you share in your replies and links.

I used a K&N as well ib516 - Had the same amount of silicon. I'm not sure why some vehicles read high silicon levels with K&N but nonetheless, I changed out my K&N and put a paper in. We'll see if the Silicon goes down on this upcoming UOA.

Nice UOA. I'd be very happy with that!

Good looking UOA. You would have easily been able to double your OCI (oil change interval). If it were me, I would run the 0W-40 syn 10K miles and then sample it w/o changing it. When you get the UOA back you will know whether or not if you need to dump the old and pour in new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back