2000 F250 7.3L Amsoil 15w-40 30,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil 15w-40 with 9qts of makeup oil, 3 of those quarts were S3000 5w-30, used 3 Amsoil filters

97,000 miles on the truck, 30,000 miles and 2 years on the oil. Did not change oil

Truck has a Superchips programmer and K&N FIPK with outer wear.

Iron 95
Chromium 3
Lead 26
Copper 129
Tin 0
Aluminum 9
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 20
Boron 2
Sodium 0
Magnesium 101
Calcium 4035
Barium 0
Phosphorus 1345
Zinc 1753
Moly 7
Titanium 0
Vanadium 0
Potassium 0

Fuel Vis @100C 13.33
Water 0
Soot .3
Coolant No
TBN 8.14
Oxid 13
Nitr 10
F-soot .37

Lab note - Copperlevel is high, possibly from lube oil cooler. Oil is suitable for continued use.

The 3 filter changes account for almost 6 quarts of oil, so the oil useage is not bad at all. The silicon is high, even for Phoenix. I personally use a Ford AIS on my 01 PSD. Copper and lead are truly higher that I would ever want to see. Soot is very low for 30K as are Oxy and Nit. TBN is very good. But a quart refresh (average) every 3k helps that point.

I am purely speculating, but the turbo bearings are starting to show. High silicon, high copper and high lead.

I would send this report to Dyson Analysis for his Interpetation.

shocked.gif

It would be interesting to see a particle count on this oil. Not sure "soot" accounts for all particles.

30,000 miles of Phoenix usage in 2 years - what kind of driving? Not really comparable but some V8's over in gas UOA's have Pb over 10 in under 10K miles.

Copper could be leachate from oil cooler(?) as the say.

Fe could be simply age in the crankcase.

I personally don't recommend over 12 months on an oil with a chipped engine and without knowing your air filtration is superior. Randes -Do you have any earlier UOA's?

75% highway miles average 20 MPG
The truck also has a Banks Big Head waste gate actuator and I'm running around 30lbs of boost.

I bought the truck with 62,000 miles on it and the previous owner said he used Delo. The Amsoil was put in at 67,000.

This sample was taken with 14,000 miles on the oil

Iron 42
Chromium 2
Lead 9
Copper 9
Tin 0
Aluminum 3
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Silicon 6
Boron 1
Sodium 0
Magnesium 102
Calcium 3319
Barium 0
Phosphorus 1080
Zinc 1334
Moly 1
Titanium 0
Vanadium 0
Potassium 0

Fuel Vis @100C 13.62
Water 0
Soot .1
Coolant No
TBN 10.65
Oxid 12
Nitr 11
F-soot .18

[ March 17, 2006, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Randes ]

That spike in copper is typical for a 7.3 about to have a turbo failure. I recommend you check turbo end play now and rebuild yourself if excessive. I'd also drain oil and replace with new and stop dumping 5w-30HDD in your motor.

Hammer

Now looking at your first UOA your copper did spike hugely. I definitely say a chipped diesel running 30psi boost in Phoenix should not go 30K miles/2 years on the oil. The stress on the lower end shows up as Pb and Fe and also some Cu. Beside the turbo, these engines have some other Cu bits IIRC.

When did you mod the engine?

The only thing I did was add the Banks Bighead. Looks like I might be getting a new Banks Turbo.

Perfect example of "have to pay to play". Pay in this case is shortened engine and component longevity by running high boost, possibly exascerbated by thin oil :).

reyjay1 - I tend to agree, however his vis is 13.X, still in the 40 range, although native 15W-40 AME is 14.X.

Randes - I forgot to ask when did you put the waste gate actuator on? Is it calibrated?

If that's a stock turbo hitting 30 psi then you probably are ready for turbo failure.

If you go aftermarket for a turbo you might want to look at the Garrett GTP38R instead of the Banks.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Did you up the boost at that time?

PS 3 qts of HDD did not cause this issue. Who is your Amsoil dealer?

I would tend to disagree. When I went from 15w40 to HDD 5w30 my copper spiked up. I think it is something in the HDD reacting with the copper. This might explain why the initial UOA at 14k didn't show a spike. If the HDD was added after the 1st UOA then I would say this was the cause.

Up until the fist rain in 140+ days a little over a week ago, we have had some of the most polluted weather I have ever seen. A lot of this was large amounts of dirt suspended in the air as developers have been working on large tracts of farmland.

My last UOA showed a spike in lead, copper, and iron. Total miles were 25,000 with two filter changes and a total of 20 qts of oil used. Time on my oil was about 2 years also.

I guess I will have to get off my butt and take the time to type it in now.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
wu li - it's possible the esters have an effect on copper similar to Redline, but I have my doubts with 1 qt at a time in a 15+ qt system.

I don't think the 3 quarts of 5w-30HDD had any effect on the high copper in his report. I just think he has issues in general and needs to fix them. My comment on not to use 5w-30HDD in a PSD is from the various reports I see on The Diesel Stop with noticably high Iron when using this oil. I have seen it too many times for it not to be a coincindence. The issue doesn't seem to exist with any of the Amsoil 15w-40's. I have convinced some of these people to stop using the 5w-30HDD in their PSD and the Iron problem goes away. But anyway, I'm pretty confident that his turbo needs attention.

Hammer

I top off with the 5w-30 in the winter and 15w-40 in the summer. Truck smokes a little at startup if it sits for a couple of days, but it doesn't smoke at all during cruise or hard accelleration.

I am certainly no mechanic, but I am a researcher for years. I am trying to get my 7.3 Power Stroke with 50K miles ready for efficient service and longevity.
I suggest you look at www.Dieselpage.com. If my memory serves me correctly, a 30 lb boost continually is a formula for Turbo failure..check it out..Kd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back