01 Cummins - First report

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.. How about those additive levels in the Valvoline Synpower?! Hope that old rumor about cummins and moly isn't true..
nono.gif

Oil was Mobil 1 Truck/Suv 5/40
1 bottle valvoline additive
67,028 miles on engine
7,277 miles on oil

aluminum 3
Chromium 2
Iron 24
Copper 1
Lead 2
Tin 1
Molybdenum 103
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 2
Boron 53
Silicone 4
Sodium 0
Calcium 2960
Magnesium 524
Phosphorus 1264
Zinc 1492
Barium 0

Visc. @ 210 = 74.0
Flashpoint = 450
Fuel = no water or anti-freeze
insoluables = .4

I added a bypass filter at approx 5k miles during this interval. They recommended that I change the oil to get a better base reading.. I will change the oil once it hits 10k, and hope to change filters every 5k and oil every 10k.. Maybe more if numbers check out.

First ever report.. I'm pretty happy with it.

I did some light (light for me) towing on this interval BEFORE the bypass was installed.

It was a small trailer with a couple of snow-machines... 40 +/- miles round trip (up and down a mountain though..)

Blackstone figured the elevator metals could have been from the install of the bypass.. These were all pipe fittings, and some of that may have contributed (according to them).

The bypass I installed is only 10um, so it is not as fine as other options. Going to keep running this oil until I reach my goal of 10k, then I will change it out (with filters) and send another sample at 5k on the next interval.

I also plan on using an AEM intake in the near future, and want to keep an eye on my silicone levels.

Something else:

I tend to idle longer in the winter months than I do in the summer months.. I never idle more than 15/20 minutes at a time, but it is just 1 more thing to consider.. I'm happy with the fuel levels considering my truck has an after-market fueling chip.

What brand of bypass did you install? I would agree that the installation could cause some iron problems, but these should be gone by the next UOA.
Personally, I would take your wear numbers any day and sleep great at night. With a chip and idleing, all looks good.
smile.gif

I installed an "I DID IT!" bypass filter.

I built my own system using parts from over the counter..

The filter is a 51050 from Wix. It was used in Isuzu trucks as a bypass I beleive.. Not exactly ultra-fine filtering, but it is commonly available for under $7.

Lucky,

I agree with Blackstone. The bypass could cause a 'false' spike in metal readings. Your UOA looks good regardless. Keep on truckin' down the road!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back