Dodge Cummins 5.9L - 202,000 total - 15,000 on oil - trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
All,

Seems to be a problem with an injector leaking fuel into the oil?

-

Thanks,

Wayne

Is there an interface by which fuel can get into the oil through the injectors on 6BT? What year is your truck? If it's a 12-valve I'd lean toward it being the injection pump.

As for the potassium, check your oil cooler first before anything else. They've been known to develop leaks in higher mileage engines.

-john

201k miles pulling a heavy stock trailer. The engine, 6 speed manual, and the differential are tough as nails to put up with what we've put it through.

Wayne

Everything is completely stock. We did just have to replace the lift pump by the fuel tank.

Wayne

2004 or 2004.5?

The 2004.5 had some injector issues. That should probably be your first stop.

I would highly recommend talking to Don at http://www.f1diesel.com. He could probably tell you more about injectors then you may ever want to know.
smile.gif

[ December 08, 2005, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

That is the better motor (The 600 has had issues).

I wouldn't think the injectors could be running south already, but it is a possibility.

Usually, any after-market box that raises the rail pressure with ruin the injectors after a short amount of time, if constantly run on high settings.

Seeing that this is stock and having a problem with fuel, it probably isn't the case.

It could also be one of the many sensors going south.

Has the fuel mileage dropped significantly since this happened?

The lift pump failed and was replaced. We're going to run the truck 5,000 miles and sample the oil to see if the bad lift pump was the culprit.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, I really don't think a lift pump would cause a fuel dilution problem. You should still keep an eye on the oil/fuel dilution levels. In my experience with diesels, either the injectors are leaking fuel into the pistons areas and not atomizing properly, or the rings are not doing the job correctly. As far as the antifreeze, keep and eye on that level too. Oil cooler, or possible pin hole in a cylinder liner. Do you run a good radiator additive? Injector cleaner? Hope this all works out as cheaply as possible for you...keep us up to speed. Thanks

wwillson:

You may already know the deal with lift pumps on this engine but I'll post this anyway.

My cousin's 5.9L went through about 4-5 lift pumps before Dodge quit replacing them. We discovered that the fix was simple: buy a genuine Cummins lift pump--from Cummins, not Dodge--and replace it yourself. Cummins dot com will put you in touch with a local Cummins distro. It was less than $100 delivered by UPS. It took 5 mins to replace and has been going strong ever since.

The Dodge lift pumps are not worth installing even if they are free from the stealership.

thanks for the info jaycee, ill have to pass that on to my dad in the event that the lift pump on his 05 ever goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back