Cummins/Schaeffer's Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the latest report on my 1998 Dodge/Cummins 24 valve 5.9L diesel engine, and the first run of Schaeffer's Supreme 7000 15W-40 synthetic blend.

Miles on sample: 14,301
Miles on engine: 139,276
Time of use: early March '05 - 09/21/05
Sump capacity: 11 quarts
Oil filter: Fleetguard StrataPore LF3894
Air filter: Fleetguard cylindrical paper AH19037 w/an Outerwears pre-filter
Fuel: predominantly Amoco Priemier(50 cetane) with blends of up to 50% bio-diesel
Lab: Blackstone

Aluminum - 2
Chromium - 1
Iron - 16
Copper - 2
Tin - 1
Moly - 78
Boron - 6
Silicon - 3
Calcium - 3106
Magnesium - 42
Phosphorus - 1021
Zinc - 1235

Elements not listed = 0

SUS viscosity @ 212F - 78.3
Flash point - 425F
Fuel - Insolubles - 0.4%
TBN - 8.3

As I have done in the past, I changed the oil filter at around 10K miles and added 1 1/2 quarts make-up oil at that time. This Schaeffer's contains 20-25% PAO, and thus far has shown the least ppm wear per 1,000 miles of operation than anything else I've used. That's included Amsoil 15W-40 and Delvac 1. The cost of Schaeffer's was $2.92 per quart delivered, far less than the full synthetics I was using.

The engine on this interval was stock HP/Torque, 235/460. I installed 275HP injectors this weekend, and the current oil fill is Schaeffer's Supreme 9000 5W-40 for the winter months.

Cool (I like doing this
smile.gif
)

Mobil D1, same rig

I would say the samples are all within statistically normal variation error of the mesuring equipment
smile.gif
- so it's hard to say how much the environment and driving conditions or the oil itself change the data points.

I would say this sorta gives merit to Dougster's no magic oils thereom. OTOH D1 had the higest Fe
cool.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif

The cost of Schaeffer's was $2.92 per quart delivered, far less than the full synthetics I was using.

Nothing I can add to that statement.

smile.gif

Strong looking report Rebel. This is an extremely robust oil which is why so many can extend drains with Schaeffers while keeping wear at a minimum. Dollar for dollar...pound for pound...
wink.gif

Oil filter change on this sample?

Mileages were different and coolant leak in one sample. The samples appear to me, not to be even close in conditions. I think no conclusion can be drawn. If I am wrong I will be quickly chastised, no problem>
Gre gH

Schaeffers did fine.

Greg, an astute, sharpeyed grasshopper, such as yourself is very free to point these things out.

I, however, must joke and walk very softly, whilst jabbing at "dougie frem donunder" and all the time saying very gently: "one can draw no conclusion...." "no conclusion, here folks. Move along."

smile.gif
- <= mandatory smiley face to let everyone know I am quite light hearted.

Sales rep is correct,,,,the 15w-40 is a really better engine lube ,,than others,this oil will take a better pounding than others,hands down,Though Amsoil is good ,,I of all people enjoy the real world results,,how close is close??...........BL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back