05 VW 1.9L PD-TDI, Elf DID 505.01, 13,000KM

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by bmwtechguy:
The only fuel pump was the low pressure lift pump that brought the fuel up to the rail that supplied the inlet side of the injectors.

About 40 psi IIRC, with excess bypass flow to keep the injectors cooled.

Hi,
this type of injector has been used by Detroit Diesel since 1985-6. Firstly in the 2 cycle 92 series and as a fundamental part of the Series 60 4 cycle engine. It started as DDEC1 and is now at DDEC version 6 (I think)

The electronically managed injector's rocker arm has a ceramic (silicon nitride) roller follower that fooled a lot of people doing UOAs back then
The rollers have been reliable but we had two replaced under warranty in 1996 due to a failure of the roller's shaft which caused the roller to run at an angle that destroyed the camshaft's lobe. It was a production fault

The injectors have proven to be very reliable and in over 13 years I have replaced only one - at around 1 million miles! It had an electronic fault which could not be repaired - it cost $A700 in 1996. I have never had any cam wear issues (only replaced a few actuating pads that fall out) when using semi and full synthetic Approved oils!

I have never replaced a fuel pump but I have replaced an early DDEC2 ECM at a cost of about $A4500 - in 1995

As the fuel is a coolant in the system it is wise to always keep the fuel tank at least about 25% full. Any Driver who runs out of fuel in my Company is fired by me without question - mainly because of the risk of damage to the fuel system's components due to the hot fuel. In Australia and with an ambient of say 30C, the fuel's in-tank temperature (at less than 25%) can be around 60-70C. The DDEC ECM is programmed to alert the driver to the high fuel temperature and will eventually "power down" and stop the engine. Fuel temperature is of course a critical part of the injection programming matrix

Using a suitably Approved oil with the correct HTHS viscosity (due to the high contact pressures involved) is most important IMHO. In this case the ELF product performed and as it should have

Doug
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back