Delvac 1 in '04 LLY Duramax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are the results of my first-ever UOA, and I need some help interpreting the results! I sent another sample to Blackstone and am having Terry Dyson offer his advice, but this sample was done by Staveley Fluids Analysis. (This is NAPA oil analysis lab.)

9633 miles on oil

19670 miles on truck

I'm using a Mobil 1 M-303 filter and changed it half way through interval. Total makeup oil was 2.75 quarts including 1 quart at filter change.

Iron: 62
Chrome: 1
Lead: 6
Copper: 33
Tin: 0
Aluminum: 4
Nickel: 0
Silver: 0
Silicon: 15
Boron: 46
Magnesium: 440
Sodium: 3
Calcium: 2304
Phosphorus: 1428
Zinc: 1680
Moly: 4
Potassium: 0

Fuel: Vis @ 100: 14.42
Water: 0
Soot: 0.1
Glycol: NEG

TBN: 7.6

So what do you guys think? Iron is really the only thing that looks out of the ordinary to me.

Fe is slightly elevated. Oil has a good amount of life left. Viscosity is perfect. Not sure why the Fe is that high. It's within normal range though.

It will take at least 20k for the wear pattern of this class of diesel engine to stabilize. The same is true for the 5.9L Cummins and 6.0L, PSD....

I'd test again @ 30k total miles and you'll see the Fe and Cu drop significantly. The Cu may be from an oil cooler....

I see no issues eventually going to a 15k service interval, given the soot# and TBN. A lower limit of 4.0 on TBN, using ASTM D-4739, is fine.

Stavely Fluids Analysis now owns Cleveland Tech Center/CTC....

So are they a reputable lab?

Also, please note that I'm putting approximately 360 horsepower to the ground and routinely pull a trailer. I think I've got an engine that's wearing nicely at this point in its life (not fully broken in). Further analysis will tell much more I'm sure.

The iron kinda puzzles me--I have a magnetic drain plug I purchased from George Morrison at AV Lube, and it came out of the pan shiny clean when I dumped this oil. There was literally no "fuzz" on it like magnetic plugs usually have. What gives there?

Yes, they are a very reputable lab. From Montana, did that sample go to the Portland lab? Staveley(sp?) is also the Chevron LubeWatch program's lab. They do LOTS of sample volume and I've always had good, consistent results from the Portland lab.

I don't think it went to the Portland lab because the pre-addressed mailer said "Atlanta Laboratory."

So Staveley has multiple labs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back