04 John Deere 4610, JD SAE 30, 150 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got the report back from Blackstone on my compact tractor. It has a Yanmar 2.0L 4-banger with 202 hours on it. The Deere 30 weight oil and OEM filter had 151 hours on them. No make-up oil was added and the 5-quart sump was down about 1/3 quart. Here are the elements in ppm:

--Aluminum 8
--Chromium 2
--Iron 49
--Copper 4
--Lead 1
--Tin 0
--Molybdenum 83
--Nickel 1
--Manganese 0
--Silver 0
--Titanium 0
--Potassium 2
--Boron 75
--Silicon 14
--Sodium 13
--Calcium 2081
--Magnesium 226
--Phosphorus 908
--Zinc 1312
--Barium 1

SUS Viscosity @ 210F=64.7, Flashpoint=430F, Fuel=1.5%, antifreeze=0%, water=0%, and insolubles=0.4%.

Blackstone comments: The universal averages column shows typical wear from this type of engine after about 125 hours on the oil. Your oil was run 151 hours, and aluminum and iron were higher than average. But that's most likely due to the fact that the engine is still fairly new. That means these are probably break-in metals, not from any sort of problem, and they should drop with future oil changes. Note fuel, which is probably from rings seatimg. Once they seal up, fuel should disappear. No other contaminants found. Check back to monitor. The viscosity @ 100*C was 11.53 cSt.

My comments: I theoretically could have run the oil another 50 hours and been in compliance with the owner's manual recommendation for change intervals. I've switched to Shell Rotella T 5W-40 and hope for a better report in another 200 hours, although I now wonder whether it was a mistake to go to a synthetic when the piston rings may not be fully seated.

I welcome your observations. . . .

Cheers, Mark

Why dont you think the rings are seated? Is it cuz of the 1.5% fuel? My guess is thats not a ring issue but maybe more from extended idling periods. I try to idle mine at 1300 if I have to climb off and dont want to shut down.
Just asking but JD actually recommends 200 hr oil changes? My Branson is 100 hrs for engine oil and 300hrs for hydraulics.

Snoboy,

JD recommends 200 hrs for motor oil, motor oil filter, and both hydraulic filters, and 400 hrs for hydraulic fluid. This is after the 50 hour break-in, where everything above gets changed. I did this first 200 hour change, therefore, with only 150 hours in order to fall in on the 200/400 maintenance cycle from here on out.

The rings indeed may be seated by now. I hope so. It is the Blackstone comment which caught my eye. I don't idle the tractor much. It is usually either working or is turned off.

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers, Mark

Roger that. My friend down the road has a 4610 and its a great rig. That 4TNE Yanmar is bullet proof. It'll be still be running after you quit running.
snoboy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back