High Lead Trace Coolant in 7.3 L IDI IH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats alot of lead if its for real. Perry, if I were you I'd call Terry Dyson for an analysis on this sample, and do it ASAP. His service is worth its weight in gold!
snoboy

Well right now I don't have another sample. I am going to wait 2000 miles and pull a sample. Do you have a point of contact for Terry?

Perry

Go here to contact Terry http://0041517.netsolhost.com/ He can review the current sample report no need to take another yet. I just received my Dyson analysis for my nephews truck
fruit.gif
. Terry will work closely with you, treating you like you and your rig are the most important to him. He and his service is awesome
bowdown.gif
! Contact him and get your report to him. BTW
welcome.gif
to BITOG

Looks like a pinhole leak through one of the cylinder liners in this "wet sleeve" design (cavitation damage), or perhaps a weeping cylinder head gasket. Not uncommon on these older PDS's, as "59 Vetteman" will tell you....

I'd do a pressure test of the cooling system and see if the pressure drops. In the meantime, I'd shorten the service interval by 50%, since this condition will cause rapid TBN depletion, as well as the generation of a highly acidic sludge when the EG chemically combines with the hydrocarbons in the oil.

I sent you a PM with more info and I'm right down here in Lacey's Spring, AL, just off of Hwy 36.

Tooslick

I hope it is not the dreded cavitation. I am hopeing the leak was from the waterpump I just replaced that and it was not installed properly and was leaking around the gasket and also the bolts that go into the block were not sealed properly. If it was the waterpump it should get better next sample at 2000 miles. If it is a hole in the cylinder it will only get worse.

Perry

I was wondering if 1000 miles was too soon to take an oil sample on my truck after the aforementioned bad oil report. I finally found some fuel cheap enough to start driving it again and soon I will have 1000 miles on it. Holding up some upgrades like new injectors based on the next report. No use putting money into a sinking ship.

Perry

Yes but is that enough miles to see a change? I mean if the contamination is less it may be the fact that the oil does not have as many miles on it. Of course if it is worse then I have real problems. I am not sure if the bad actors would be 1/4 of the 4000 mile value or if it is at all scalable like that.

Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back