Amsoil High Performance 10w40 AMO 6000mi. Ford 6.0 PSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stinky I'm mostly looking at the Lead. From my past reports using Delo 15w40, Schaeffer 15w40, or Amsoil Series 3000 5w30 my lead should be about 3ppm. I'll bet a cup of coffee that the Rotella or any of the true HDEOs will bring it in around 3ppm for the given mileage. Thats all I'm getting at. Other than that I'm happy. Living here in Wa I tow over alot of mountain passes 6-8% grades for extended miles. I dont abuse the truck but I dont candy foot it either when I'm towing. I just think that this isn't the best oil for that. snoboy

[ April 23, 2005, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: snoboy ]

snoboy,

That's not a bad analysis whatsoever. Chit , I would have spun on another bypass element, topped off and kept on rolling with this same oil.

Considering the amount of towing and the grades you tow at the numbers are pretty good. Anyway, I wish I only put 6000 miles on my 6.0 PSD every 6 months
frown.gif

I dont use it as a daily driver, just weekends and playtime. Shawn your right about swappin filters and truckin on but I had 4 gallons of Rotella I had to use before I can get to the Amsoil ACD 10w30. The AMO didn't do squat for mileage. I'm betting the ACD will be almost as good as the Series 3000. Mike

A difference of a few ppm is nothing to worry about! That falls well within the statistical average and lab variances. Think about it, your dealing with ppm here.
smile.gif
If one analysis showed 3ppm of Pb, then the next 30 ppm, then I'd be concerned.

Hi Snoboy

Buster is right about the lead. There are a lot of things that can cause elevated levels of lead that are not wear related (see my response to Buster's post about lead and Redline). As far as I'm concerned about the only elements where a change of 2 or 3 ppm is significant are chrome and nickle.

Keep using your Amsoil if you like, it is serving you well.

Stinky

Well everything you guys have said is true. This is NOT the best oil for my truck. It did however do OK. All items of zero are not listed. Sample taken from Fumoto drain. Filters used: Airaid air filter, Amsoil BMK-100 BP, Luberfiner FF. Who says these Airaids dont work?
Al 3
Chr 1
Iron 14
Copper 3
Lead 5
Tin 1
Moly 12 left over from last fill, Schaeffer's
Nickel 1
Potas. 3
Boron 1
Silicon 7
Sodium 1
Calcium 3292
Mag. 7
Phos. 993
Zinc 1090
SUS vis@ 64.1
Flash 425
Fuel Insol. 0.4
TBN 11.2
The oil was in for 6 mo. and 6000mi. I have installed Rotella T syn 5w40 so we'll see how it does. My metals are slightly elevated and judging by my Si. numbers its not from dirt ingestion. I think its just the wrong oil. After this run of Rotella I'm going to try the Amsoil ACD 10w-30. Even at .4 my insolubles aren't bad considering my bypass wasn't flowing oil when I went to pull my sample.
Comments?

[ April 23, 2005, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: snoboy ]

Stinky just when I think I've learned something I find out I have a lot more to learn. So in your opinion this oil works well in this engine. Thats good for me.
One thing I will add is because of the lack of snow up here this winter (I'm a snowmobiler)the truck would sit sometimes for weeks without being started and then have to do a cold start. If the truth be known this IS the best report I've had for this truck even with the 5ppm of Pb. Thanks for the input. Where the heck are Pablo, Tooslick, and MSparks when you need them.

Actually this oil worked better than I predicted in your application. The old 10W-40 is one of my least favorite of the Amsoil line up. I certainly don't consider it a diesel oil. And it didn't do a great job in my Volvo gasser.

In your truck given the time element, and conditions it did fine. Knowing your climate and now your driving style, I, too would love see how the HD 10W-30 (30)ACD does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back