01 VW TDI - Rotella T 5w-40 - 10,200 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the results back for a 10,200 mile run on my ~67,000 mile 01 TDI(tested by blackstone):

aluminum: 6
cromium: 4
iron: 45
copper: 6
lead: 2
tin: 0
moly: 0
nickel: 1
magnese: 0
silver: 0
titanium: 0
potassium: 0
boron: 6
silicon: 4
sodium: 3
calcium: 2545
magnesium: 63
phosphorous: 980
zinc: 1088
barium: 0

sus@210: 78.5
flashpoint: 420
fuel: antifreeze: 0.00
water: 0.0
insolubles: 0.6

Looks good, especially considering it was a 10k ARX rinse!

--Matt

Also, 6oz of lube control was added at the begining of this interval. I added 2oz every 2k miles thereafter.

--Matt

You need a chip and a bigger turbo (VNT17) to really test the oil
smile.gif

Rotella T Synth rocks. I'm switching to it from this change of Mobil 1 5w40 Truck and SUV (aka Delvac 1) after I change my turbo.

Great analysis!

Iron and chrome are a bit too high and some nickel is present. This normally indicates abrasive wear of the stainless steel, intake and exhaust valves. I'd check for an intake, vacuum, crankcase vent leak even though the silicon is low. The TDI uses a high tension piston ring, so I suspect the majority of this dirt is going out the exhaust and not getting by the rings and into the oil.

Normal chrome wear in a fully broken in TDI engine should be 1-2 ppm every 10,000 miles.

The oil held up very well, but that's not the issue here.

Tooslick

I just switched to Rotella T Syn from Delvac 1300 dino, in my Duramax diesel. Then, last night, I found the local Wal-Mart has FIVE quart Mobil 1 T & S for $19.95 a jug.
cheers.gif
Wish they carried the filters too.
frown.gif

So many oils, so little time.
dunno.gif

Could these numbers be impacted by the fact that this was a 10k mile ARX rinse? Should I look into replacing filters? I was considering getting the 1.8T cold weather filter and eliminating the snow screen ayways. I also need to change my fuel filter. Perhaps I'll do that tomorrow...or maybe I'll get a CAT2...

--Matt

quote:

Originally posted by robnitro:
Rotella T Synth rocks. I'm switching to it from this change of Mobil 1 5w40 Truck and SUV (aka Delvac 1) after I change my turbo.

Why would you want to switch from a Group 4 CI-4 oil to a Group 3 CH-4 oil?
confused.gif
dunno.gif

I switched because its much cheaper, and it is actually thinner in cold weather, which is better I would think in terms of wear. I can't run super long intervals as I drive short trips in the city. I had a good analysis with just delo 400 dino, so Rotella T will be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back