Delvac 1300 15W-40 / 3573 mi / '01 VW TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short interval here due to short one mile commute. The car gets a good 30 minute run on highway about once a month sometimes more. The oil was in service from Feb 21 to Nov 28.

Current/Previous
Delvac 15W-40/Duron 5W-40
3573 miles/6247 miles
Fe 5/6
Cr 0/0
Pb 0/0
Cu 3/2
Sn 0/1
Al 6/3
Si 6/4
Na 0/6
Mo 35/0
K 0/0
Visc @100C 14.3/13.6
Water 0/0.1
Soot 0.4/0
Fuel 0/0
Glycol 0/0
Nitr 1/0
Oxid 3.5/0
TBN 8.7/8

Al jumped but considering the short trips I think it looks good.

Awesome. While you could do annual OCIs, I'd only do it with a 5w-40 or a 0w-40 so winter mornings would be as easy as possible.

Always believed with contention that Delvac and Delo were among the best products and your report just confirmed my belief, the best part is that these products are also among the most cost effective on the market which is a veritable tower of Babel.

Shame on you for not using synthetic in your TDI.
nono.gif

I am comfortable with dino in the TDI. I'm not comfortable with Delvac 1300 when we have our occassional dips below 20 degrees F. I have decided to use Rotella 5W-40 and will start doing annual changes. I don't think synthetic is necessary in this application(A4).

The Duron went double the miles of the Delvac equal wear metals and in some cases half.

I'm interested in understanding what I'm missing here. Why is everyone so jazzed about the Delvac, and nobody has commented on the Duron.

By the way...what IS Duron?

quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shame on you for not using synthetic in your TDI.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeh, this oil did such a poor job in the TDI

ROFLMAO!

Hammer

The PC Duron interval was about 90% highway miles. The Delvac 1300 interval saw 90% in town short trips. My wife drives the car and her commute changed from 35 miles to 1 mile. Big difference. Here's the data from a recent interval with Rotella T 5W-40 with 6818 miles, of which 3000 are a highway trip. The remainder are short in town trips.

Fe 8
Cr 5
Pb 3
Cu 4
Sn 0
Al 3
Ni 0
Si 3
B 0
Na 4
K 2
Visc@100C 14.4
Water 0
Soot 0.5
Fuel 0
Glycol 0
Nitr 0
Oxid 4
TBN 8.5

The short trips are terrible. She is the type to leave at the last minute and drive hard on a cold engine. The temp. guage only gets to about 120F before she turns it off and worse during winter.

There's a reason why VW sent out a TSB way back in 2000 telling all dealerships to only use synthetic 5w-40 in the TDI.

It's your car, do what you want to.

Jim 5,

The Duron is Petro Canada's diesel engine oil. The Duron 5W-40 is a group 3 synthetic and I believe it was a api CH-4.

TexasTDI,

I really don't think the 5W vs. 15W will make much difference except during cold weather. Back in 2000 when that TSB came out it was very difficult to find a 5W-40 and VW and Castrol surely made a fortune on their boutique oil. If I remember correctly, the Castrol 5W-40 was selling at the dealerships for $9 per quart. Rip off. VW is more interested in extracting the cash from your wallet than protecting your engine. Most TDI's will easliy outlive the warranty on generic PCMO. Believe me, I have witnessed this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back